Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook squash?

Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are pretty new to the big green egg. We wanted to cook a couple of small squash? Has anyone done so, and could share the recipe.[p]Thank you,
Scott

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Scott,
    Are you talking hard shell (hubbard, acorn, etc.) or soft shell (zucchini, patty pan, etc.)? Roast the hard shells just like you would in the oven, i.e., seeds removed, baked an hour or so around 400 degrees. Cook the soft shells like you would on the stove top, i.e., cut into coins and grilled either right on the grill, direct, or in a veggie "pan".[p]Or with the soft shells, remove the stem, cut down the center, film with olive oil and top with a mixture of "mediterranean type" spices and grated parmesan cheese. Grill direct just until the topping gets soft and brown.[p]Squash: yum![p]Ken

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Scott,[p]I do a "Twice Baked Butternut Squash" that's great roasted on the egg.[p]Heat the egg up to 375°. Set up for an indirect cook (i.e., platesetter or firebricks to block the direct heat and provide ceramic mass).[p]Slice butternut squash in two and remove seeds. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and place squash cut side down. Bake for about an hour, or until squash is soft when pressed with your finger and leaves an indentation.[p]Remove softened squash from skins and put in a mixing bowl. Now, here's where you'll have to go by judgement and taste, since how much of these ingredients you add will depend on how much squash you've got. Add some butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Mix well.[p]Fill several custard dishes (ramekins) with squash mixture. Take some pecans, chop them, mix with a little brown sugar (or you can use some of the prefab honey roasted nuts), and sprinkle the sugary nuts on top of each dish with squash. [p]Put back on the cookie sheet and back into the egg for about 15-30 minutes until the top is carmalized and the squash warmed through. [p]Enjoy![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    QBabe,
    Hey, that's a killer. Who needs desert when this is on the menu? I have 3 different squash waiting for the egg and I'm gonna pick one and use your recipe.
    Thanks,
    Clay (making fresh herb focaccia bread)