Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the egg in cold weather

Options
Theo
Theo Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i live in NJ and usually bring my egg into the garage for winter time - just wondering if anyone leaves it outside in the cold during winter and if it's o.k.[p]thanks !

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Theo,
    I leave mine out year round here in Kansas City, MO. I do keep a cover on it.[p]I also use it year round. I have cooked with the temp @ zero. Didn't notice any difference in performance.[p]

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Theo,
    I live in Long Island, New York. I have had my egg since Feb. of this year and with all the snow, ice and cold weather we had this year, I just kept on egging. My egg and table were left in the snow and ice under the large BGE table cover when not in use (very seldom it is not in use). The only problem that I did have by leaving the egg outside in the snow was that I had more snow to shovel so that I could get to the egg. Maybe if I hit the lottery I could afford enough eggs to place around my property and when snow is in the forcast I could just light them up and watch the snow melt while making ribs, pulled pork and brisket for the neighborhood.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Theo,
    I got my large BGE about a year and a half ago. We cooked about 3 times a week throughout the winter here in (Essex County) Massachusetts. The only thing I do differently in the winter is to move the egg closer to the door! There are usually a few reports of eggs that are frozen shut but that's not a problem if you keep it covered and dry.[p]Paul

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Theo,
    i leave it out all year, no cover, no problems...[p]i swear it cooks better overnight in the winter

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ranger ray
    Options
    Theo,
    cooking/grilling in zero temps is one of the main reasons i bought the egg....mine is outside, uncovered, has suffered no ill effects.... sub zero temps here in the pocono mts. of pa are not uncommon.... i love having nice hot food ready when i return from skiing.... and those baked potatos in the woodstove fire.... can't wait for winter...my favorite time of year!( don't tell me i'm crazy...lotsa people tell me all of the time)