Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wooohooo his fire made it through the night

SmokingInMOSmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well we woke up this morning and the egg was still going strong. My sons first fire made it through the night with no problem (and no guru to help). Not bad at all for a ten year old, gotta say I was a proud dad when he came inside this morning and said the egg was at 240. Looks like his first cook is going to be a success. We will make mop for it in an hour or so. Have already taken a few pics, will post them all when it is done.[p]Smoking "the proud dad" InMO

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    SmokingInMO, curious as to what type of mop do you use? Is it something common in MO or brought from another region? NC uses a lot of vinegar mops on their ribs and butts but I've never really used any. Are you using it to gain moisture, taste or something else? Let us know.

• Wise One,[p]On a butt a mop does little more then add a better appearance to the bark. I normally just mixed up some KC Masterpeice, some brown sugar and pepper. I wait until the meat gets out of the plateue and then turn the egg up to around 300 and add the mop so it can add a little color. I don't think it does much for the flavor or amount of moisture but it does give it a little better look in the end.
  • Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    SmokingInMO, that explains it. In my household, my wife does not like the chewy texture of the bark mixed in with her pulled pork so I cut it off and put it in a separate container for me to nibble on. If I made it look better, I might have competition for this wonderful treat. :-)

• Wise One, I have read about a method where you put on the rub then wrap in cheese cloth then smear with mustard and then more rub. It is supposed to have less of a crunchy bark, which I like, but might please the Missus.
    Charlie