Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stick a fork in this BRISKET, It's DONE

Options
JohnL
JohnL Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
brisk.jpg
<p />Good evening all. Here's a picture of a brisket I did as it first came off the BGE getting ready to be wrapped in foil for a 45 minute rest, my first on the BGE. I've done briskets before on a Brinkman Smoker, but nothing can compare to the one I just did. It was totally awesome, moist, a nice smoke ring, and the best I've ever had. My guest's agreed. It was 10.5 lbs, cooked over a drip pan filled with left over marinade and about 5 fat cloves of garlic put in drip pan. It cooked for 22 hours at 240 dome temp and finished at 195* in the point and 201 in the flat. I think I'll have to agree with the others here that marinade in the drip pan doesn't add flavor, and I thought the garlic cloves would add, but they didn't as I can tell. Although they gave off a very nice aroma while cooking, it didn't impart any roasted garlic flavor. Nonetheless, it was fantastic. I let this one rest in foil for 45 minutes before slicing, then sliced thin against the grain and had plenty of JJ's BBQ sauce on hand, as well as three taps of homebrew going, so we are having a great time.
Thanks to all for the help and advice on this brisket. I'll sure be doing more of these in the future. It's so easy on the BGE. I loaded it up to the top of the firering, lit, it cooked and held 240 degrees for 22 hours and I still have lump left. [p]Everyone have a great weekend,
John

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JohnL, A great cook and thanks for the pics..scrumptious. It's what we tell everyone..its so dang easy even a Cat can do it..:-)
    I'm ducking!!
    Seriously..next time if you want garlic just make some tiny slits in the fat cap, and slip them in before you add the marinates or mustard.
    Cheers..and congrats on a fine cooked meal.
    Char-Woody

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    JohnL, your brisket looks great. You are at least one up on me - I have yet to do my first brisket. Congratulations on a job well done!

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]
    Hey, I heard that. ;-} Missiles will be launched when you least expect it. (Just kiddin' ya, C~W.)[p]JohnL, that is a thing of beauty. Congratulations on a successful cook.[p]Cathy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cat, I will consider meself clawed..yer in good spirits.
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JohnL,
    Man, tears are in my eyes. What a great story!!!
    Thanks for sharing it. You have climed the peak...it is all downhill from now on. Chunk-o-chest has been conquered...the sky is the limit from here buddy.[p]Nice picture.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    JohnL, Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Good job.
    The only thing I've tried in a water pan that worked was whisky. You could definately taste it in the brisket.
    BTW, Just got back from the Council Bluffs contest and there was one team that brought it's egg. He said he was doing chicken on it. don't know how he did.[p]