Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

planning a little butt

Skeeter HawkSkeeter Hawk Posts: 4
edited 5:37AM in EggHead Forum
Hiya,[p]I'm going to try my first pulled pork this sunday. I just brought home a starter butt at 3.87 lbs. I was hoping to begin the cook around 9:00 in the am and finish up sometime before 10:00 pm. Is this reasonable? Anyone have an estimate on how long it will take to BBQ that size butt?[p]thanks,
tim

·

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Skeeter Hawk,
    Sounds like you did your home work OK. I would guess it will take 11 hrs or maybe 12 at the most. You'll get a fair amount of meat from that 3.8 pounder too. Enjoy.[p]Tim

·
  • Tim M,[p]I have done MANY a butt on this grill and it has never taken more than 4 hours.[p]Ya,ya,ya, I KNOW for some reason people have this theory that if you don't cook it for 10 years or so it won't be good. :)[p]Look, here's my secret. Get the coals REALLY HOT, (just follow me)[p]COMPLETELY COVER the red hot coals with NEW, UNLIT COAL,
    and IMMEDIATEly put your butt on. Close the bottom to 1/8 open (almost closed) and do the top the same way.[p]What happens is , there is plenty of heat in there but the NEW coals act like a "buffer" between the butt and the red hot coals.[p]Check on about every 30 min or so, and you will see that the butt will have a beautiful golden color with the outside so soft you can't stand it. 12 hours??? I doubt it.[p]My sincere guess is that if you try it BOTH ways you will see the 3/4 hour deal is just as good as the 12 hour deal.[p]just my opinion.

·
  • By the way, [p]I KNOW this must go against every bone in your body but I promise you it works great. After its done we chop,chop,chop it up and make fantastic Q. We chop it up, put in a pot on the stove, mix in the "secret" sauce and let it simmer (SIMMER) for about 30 minutes.[p]Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Hey if you think I'm crazy that's fine, just let us know how it turns out Ok?[p]
    ·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    john,
    Well, doubt all you want. I am sure it is safe to eat but....[p]
    Why not try the long method and compare it to what you have been making and see what you think.[p]Be sure to sort the lump first, its part of the experience.
    (just kidding on that part) [p]Tim [p]

·