Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are the chances of this working

Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture003.jpg
<p />I bought two perforated pizza pans and screwed them together in the middle and have them setting down in the fire ring. I can rotate the top pan to open or close the holes to some degree. I am wondering if this will better distribute the smoke and heat than a pizza stone or plate setter? [p]I guess I'll find out this afternoon, as six racks, double grids, of babybacks are on the menu. [p]

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Sandbagger,
    Cool. Let us know how this works out!
    Clay

• Where'd ya find the perf'd pizza pans?

Chris
    Santa Clara, CA
    I am the co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area Eggfest and I operate the Fred Tri-tip roast Facebook page for Schaub's Meat Market.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Sandbagger,
    i wonder if that would work for regulating heat for open dome cooking. i would like to come up with something for cooking a portuguese paella with the dome open

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman, I gave it a shot yesterday. Three grids: 1st grid on the fire ring with three slabs bback ribs cut in half, 2nd grid elevated with 3 slabs of bback cut in half and 3rd grid elevated above 2nd with a Costco turkey breast roll and drip pan. The egg was loaded.[p]It worked OK, but I am scratching my head wondering if it worked well and I just fumbled through the cook not knowing what to expect or do. [p]I rotated the rib grids (1&2) after one hour. I should have rotated after 40 minutes and keep rotating and flipping ribs thereafter every 40 minutes. Bbacks on grid 1 were a little charred after the first hour, but credit to the perforated pans, evenly charred.[p]I did notice the fire in the lump worked its way to the back of the firebox. Not sure if it was just a result on how I loaded the lump, a bi-product of the pan set-up or the number of times the egg was open. [p]The temperature at grid 1 seemed a little hotter than the two upper grids. I did most of the cook at the 225ish degree range at grid 2 with guru. I had the Maverick on grid 3 and it was close (+/- 10*) to the guru temp, most of the day. The fire was a little hard to control, given how many times (length of time) I opened the egg to rotate, foil and just check on things. [p]The perforated pans did warp a bit. I need to clean them and see how they survived. [p]Overall, I think something like this would work to evenly distribute heat across one grid in the horizontal. I think between the lower grid and one upper grid, there will still be a temperature gradient, dependent on the lower grid's load.[p]I guess the final result is: no body complained about the ribs or turkey: all the ribs were eaten and I have enough leftover turkey for a couple sandwhiches. [p]I may investigate this idea further. Tom[p]