Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try at Tri Tip Steaks a success

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked some Tri Tip steaks tonight. 90 sec per side sear at 700 then 3 mins per side closed dwell. If you try this be sure to let the egg have some air before you open it for the second half of the dwell. I coated them with EVOO and seasoned with Kosher Salt and Montreal Steak on both sides. My girls were mad that I did not cook more[p]DSC02560.jpg
Before
DSC02564.jpg
First Sear
DSC02565.jpg
Start of second Sear
DSC02566.jpg
End of Cook
DSC02569.jpg
This was the thinnest one and I would call it done medium. The others were Med rare and the kids faught over those like starving coyotes.

Comments

• JNK, Those tri tip steaks look great! I have not been able
    to find them here in Northern Illinois.

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Geezer,[p]
    Thanks. These are a cheeper alternative to Rib Eyes and Strips at less then $5lb. My 11 and 12 year old daughters are eating their college funds away in steaks. If you search the archives you will find that different areas of the country call tri tip different things. I believe that if you see triangle steaks that they are the same piece of meat. There are some other names too but I can't remember them now. From what I read a Tri Tip roast is even tougher to find. I want to get one of those to do some time soon.

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Geezer,
    Same problem here in Packer country. One local grocery store butcher cut one special for me once (and I wondered if he really cut me a tri-tip). But since then, I've been able to find Tri-Tip roasts regularly at my local Wal-Mart Super store. They also have huge pork butts, picnics and spares. Wally's tri-tips have been outstanding. I've got two picnics in the freezer waiting for a lu-au.