Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - I am lazy

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someday I will whip up a batch of homemade pizza dough and make a REAL pizza, but until then ... what brand of ready made pizzas (frozen or freshly made like Pappa John's, etc.) do you folks make in the egg. What taste/quality results can you report?[p]THANKS!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Meinbmw,[p]Some grocery stores sell pizza dough. In Atlanta, I get it from Publix in the bakery area. You may have to ask someone, but it makes pizza EZ!![p]Smokey
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    344%3B23%3B923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C333%3B2%3C9ot1lsi
    <p />Meinbmw,
    I'm lazy too and we've found that the DiGiorno's Supreme is excellent for the two of us. There's always a couple of slices left over for snacks later. I heat the Egg to about 450° with the plate setter and pizza stone in place. I do not add smoking wood but sometimes there is some left over from previous cooks. Either way is good but too much smoke can be bad. [p]Then I put the frozen pizza on the stone with no corn meal or anything else. I usually rotate the pizza about half way through for even cooking. It's usually done to perfection in about twenty to twenty-five minutes.[p]Now you've got me want'n one.[p]Spring "Lick'n My Lips" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    Try a "semi-homemade" pizza. Flour tortilla, softened on pizza stone or griddle, and then topped with jarred pizza sauce and your choice of toppings.[p]Ken

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    im also to lazy to make my own. . .i buy fresh dough from my local italian deli. ..good stuff. . .but most pizza parlors will sell you raw dough. ..i know bertuccis does as well. .

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    41cf240a.jpg
    <p />Meinbmw,[p]I'm with BlueSmoke, pizzas using flour tortillas are quick and easy. (even the fat free ones work great) They need almost no sauce and you can make several different kinds. Just don't go too heavy on the toppings.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Boboli thin pizza crust.[p]Toy Man
  • guavawood
    Options
    Meinbmw,[p]We use pita pocket bread for personal size pizza's Tasty and healthy![p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Meinbmw,[p]Trader Joe's .99 Can't beat that deal. Makes two thin crust pies.[p]Mick[p]
  • huha99
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    I did three pizzas last night. I have been going down to the local pizza parlor and buying their large pies (without the toppings) for $2 each. I brushed a light coat of EVOO, a few large spoons of Ragu, mozzerella cheese and pepperoni. Unless you do a frozen pizza, they couldn't get much easier (or tasty).
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    344%3B252723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3C333%3B2%3C%3Bot1lsi
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Ummmmm Ummmmm Good...[p]Spring "Pizza Breath" Chicken

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Meinbmw, Sometimes I buy fancy gourmet pizzas uncooked from a local pizza joint and then cook them on my pizza stone. Our favorite is herb oil for sauce, chicken, bacon, lots of spinach, artichoke hearts, pine nuts and fresh mozzarella. JCA

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks for the reply ... being a newbie I have done that only once and with outstanding results.[p]The only problem I encountered is that the dough was quite sticky and I could not lift it off the "baking sheet" that the pizza came on and transfer it to my stone without making a royal mess of the dough/crust.[p]Any hints? Maybe throw it in the freezer just long enought to firm up the dough, thus allowing easier transfer from the baking sheet to the stone?[p]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Meinbmw, the freezer trick might work. I usually ask for some semolina in the box, under the pizza. JCA

• rex clingan
    Options
    I was wondering about the hydrogenated fat in TJ's dough. Of their 3 varieties, one said it did, one said it didn't, and one had a blank space where the word hydrogenated used to appear on the ingredient list on the label. Anyone know the skinny?

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    We have a local pizza house that makes up fresh pizza for you to bring home and cook. I bring my pizza screen and they put the dough on it then the toppings. Then they wrap the whole thing. Now I don't have to worry about trying to transfer a thin crust, sticky dough pizza from a package onto the cooking surface.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ajay, that "local" actually is a Nick and Willies isn't it? That franchise isn't everywhere, but it has a loyal clientele and your recommendation for use on a BGE just raises their flag another notch IMHO.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.