Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Gunk

Kramer
Kramer Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Y'all,[p]Can I stick my daisy wheel top into the oven set on self-clean? That would seem to be the best way to de-gunkify the thing. Will it do damage? At only about 500 degrees, I would think not. Thoughts before I try?

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Kramer,[p]It won't hurt anything, but it might smoke up your kitchen. A better idea would be to put the daisy wheel inside the BGE on top of the grate every time you finish cooking. The residual heat will tend to keep the gunk burned off the daisy wheel. If it needs a kick start, then fire the egg up to 500 degrees and put the daisy wheel inside for a good cleaning.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    KevinH,
    Does iron get brittle with high temps? My metal fire grate has cracks in it. [p]Dennis

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Kramer,
    twice now in 5 years when Miss Daisey needs a bath I've submerged her overnight in common household ammonia. In the morning wearing rubber gloves and using a stiff brush under a running faucet finish cleaning. I prefer this method because it leaves the black paint in tact whereas the burn off method doesn't. Then either you have to repaint it since ugly rust starts or you wish it was yucky again!
    Two words of caution 1) don't breathe the fumes and 2) if you're on a septic system dispose of the used ammonia by alternative means.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    KevinH,
    i just toss mine in the egg.
    no gunk.[p]the residual heat burns off most of it, what remains keeps my daisy from spinning too easily when the dome is opened, as well as forms its own gasket.... no leaks other than through the vent holes.[p]there's no rust either.[p]dunno about any paint on the thing. i thought it was just black cast iron, like a pot. do they REALLY paint these?[p]anyway.
    no rust, no gunk, just keep it in the egg when you shut down.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Kramer,
    I toss her in the egg from time to time. If she needs a good cleaning, I attack her with my MAPP torch. That cleans things up real fast....

Apollo Beach, FL