Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O Mini, My Mini!

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let us just start by saying that I am very impressed by the performance of my new Mini Egg.[p]First, the quick cook. I deep-fried a turkey. The turkey came out perfect but then again it was a beautiful 12.5 pound Hen with gorgeous breasts. (Stop that, Its true.) My wife’s grandmother, who cleaned and prepped the bird, almost did not let me fry it. She wanted to stuff it and roast it. It was a hit as usual.[p]Back to the Mini. [p]I figured that it would be easy to fire up the mini and cook a steak to perfection. Therefore, I was determined to make my first Mini Egging a memorable.[p]I packed up Milk Carton O’ BGE Love and a coffee can three quarters full of lump and headed for my mother-in-law’s Monday night. I was not able to wake up Tuesday in time to save one of the three racks that she had purchased from an evil fate. They were boiled with the membr … I don’t want to talk that anymore. I realized that if I were to have any success, I would have to make my own purchase of pork. [p]My son and I promptly headed for local Grocery store in hopes that they still had a couple of racks hiding somewhere. After getting frustrated by trying to explain to the lady behind the Coffee Counter that I wanted a cup of coffee with a shot of espresso in it, we finally made our way to meat counter. I was able to choose from some ok looking baby backs. I picked the best small rack that they had. No matter how hard I tried, I could not remove the membrane. I suppose that it is possible that they already had. I proceeded to slather the rack with mustard and apply some Elder Ward’s Magic Rub.[p]I set the Mini up in the driveway and loaded it up with the all of the charcoal that I had brought. It was as full as my small set up for Pulled Pork, almost filled to the grill. I lit the fired starter and let it go. When the mini was reading 300, I put a nice chunk of soaked Red Oak in the middle and then the grill and rolled rack of baby backs. The temperature dropped back to 150, probably because the flame from the fire starter had artificially heat thermometer. I put the daisy wheel from my small egg on top and left the bottom vent open.[p]At 225, I started to walk the temp into 250. The whole process took about 30 minutes, all while the ribs were being bather in Oak smoke. When I put the ribs on, I predetermined that I would cook them for four hours at 250 no matter what and that is exactly what I did. The Amazing Mini held 250 for three and a half hours without ever moving the vents. (Well, alright a little, but very little) When I opened the mini to retrieve the finished product, the only time since I put the ribs on, I was greeted by that familiar scent of smoked ribs alla egg. People were eating the rack faster than I could cut them. The ribs were a tad overdone but tender and tasty nonetheless.[p]My final surprise came when I packed the mini up to go home. I put the used charcoal back in the coffee can and the can was still half full. This means that the entire four-hour burn was accomplished with what amounts to two handfuls of Lump.[p]Let the games begin with the Mini, I intend to stretch the limits of its capacity.[p]Still amazed,
RhumAndJerk

Comments