Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble getting fire going this time

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie ... two weeks old.[p]I have had good luck starting my lump until yesterday. I purchased a placesetter and used it for the first time last night. I started the lump and immediately put the place setter in. Seems like it took alot of fiddling around to get a good fire going ... maybe lack of airflow due to the placesetter?[p]My question is: should you get your fire going really well and then put the placesetter in or doesn't it matter?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    Just my opinion: I like to get the fire established before putting the platesetter in place.[p]Ken

• ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    I've never had a problem getting the fire going with the platesetter in place. Doesn't seem like it could restrict the air flow enough to make any difference at all. [p]Others recommend putting the platesetter in place before lighting to make sure it's temperature rises with the fire to prevent breakage due to thermal shock.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    I'm with BlueSmoke on this one. I get my fire going and stable then put the plate setter in. I'm also in the camp of leaving my dome open until my lump is started.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    New Bob,
    i find that i get up to temp sooner by leaving the dome closed, and all vents open (say, to get to a sear temp).
    this establishes the draft, and really gets the fire going.[p]i find that an open dome isn't as draft-inducing (through the lower vent).[p]how quickly can you get to nuke temps when open? just wunderin if i am hurting myself by closing the dome

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Meinbmw, I also get my lump going before putting in the platesetter. I leave the dome open until it gets going, then I close it to ramp up the my desired temp for the cook. I put the platesetter in after it reaches the target temp or as it is approaching the target temp which may drop the temp a little, so I let it restablize before putting the meat in.[p]I don't think there is much chance of it cracking from thermal shock, but then it's pretty hot where I am so the platesetter is never cold when I put it in. Maybe someone from a colder climate will chime in.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Meinbmw,[p]I suggest gettig a MAP gas tourch from a hardware store. I light my lump for 15-30 seconds per spot in 3 to 6 places and close the dome until it reachs around 220 to 250. Then I put the plate setter on and adjust the vents to targeted temp. One other thing, always add more lump than you think you will need. It's easy to relight and the left over lump will probablly have gone through the "blue smoke" phase so it will be clean burning faster. [p]If you are going to do overnight cooks, get a BBQ Guru. It will maintain a steady temp until you are out of lump. My record is 30 hours without adding more lump.[p]Welcome to the group.
    [ul][li]BBQ Guru site[/ul]
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Grillicious,[p]SHOOT!!! I'm from Minnesota ... does that classify as someone from a cold climate?[p]Believe me, there will be thermal shock on that placesetter come January/February!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    with the extra thermal mass in there it probably was just slower to get everything up to temps in the beginning. just give it a little more time. i dont have a platesetter, but with bricks, a pizza stone and a couple of briskets and pork butts in there, it takes much longer for temps to get where they are going

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    I get my fire started by hitting a few spots with my propane/mapp torch. Put the platesetter in immediately. Bottom and top vents open about 1/2 and lid down. When the temp gets up to about 150 I add my chunks of seasoning wood. If my target temp is 225-250 I close the vent and damper a bit to slowly come up to temp. Once there with a clean fire I add the meat. Never had a problem. It does take longer to get up to temp with the added mass of the platesetter.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Meinbmw,
    Yup. You classify big time cold. Over here in Wisconsin we get your cold winds so I always set the platesetter in right after lighting the fire in the egg. No problems what so ever. I make Minnesota wild rice soup in the egg but then I call it Wisconsin wild rice soup. I make it with smoked chicken breast.
    Clay getting hungry.