Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July Wine Butt Chicken

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I mentioned earlier, we just returned from camping a few hours ago.[p]I did not break out my new mini bge, but instead decided to use the grape(vine) chips I got at the BGE store in Atlanta.[p]We bought a 5# chicken, rubbed it with "FoxPoint Seasoning" from The Spice House in Milwaukee (xmas gift). This seasoning is described as a "shallot and herb blend." We used about 5 teaspoons as they directed. We poured some chardonnay in Willie's Chicken Sitter, added a little onion, garlic and some of the Fox Point stuff.[p]I fired up the large BGE with all the lump I had, which was not much. This was mainly used scraps from both the large and small plus the bottom of the bag I had in the garage. The BGE is very forgiving, after a second light it worked it's way up to 350*. I put on a handful of the grape chips and in went the chicken with the polder set for 180* in the thigh.[p]The alarm went off somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half later. This was good stuff. My wife called it a "delicate" flavor. Very nice.[p]Tomorrow I will buy more lump. :-)[p]Happy Fourth.[p]Fritz