Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt vs. Picnic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks.... I'm one of those long time readers, but have posted few messages. Had my egg now for three years, and all the postings on here have been a tremendous help. So first I'll say THANKS! Now for my question: My local butcher didn't have a Butt today, and I promised folks pulled pork on the 4th. So, I picked up a 5.5 lbs bonless picnic. My theory is it comes from the shoulder, same as the butt, so I'll cook it the say way. I've got the dome maintained at 230, and I'll cook until internal reaches 200... remove from the egg, wrap in foil for 10-15 minutes, then pick and pull. I expect this to take about 12 hours. Am I on the right track here? Thanks in advance. Larry

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    L.Hand,
    You got a grip on it! 12-15 hours at those temps, and it pretty much cooks like a butt. Slightly different flavor, but very similar.[p]If you will pull right after removing, there is no reason to wrap in the foil. Just let rest on a platter for 20 minutes or so, and then go to town.[p]Have fun! Seems to be a big butt/brisket weekend!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy, you called it right! Dome was stable at 230 (10:00 pm)when I started the picnic. By 7:00 am it had dropped to 220. (ain't these eggs amazing?) Internal is 180, so it's right on schedule to be pulled at 11:00. Add the deviled eggs, potato salad, celery casserole and wait for the cheers!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    LHand,
    Nice work! Yep, the eggs are amazing...but you done yourself proud by getting your temp maintained, and getting a good nights sleep, and waking up to a happy butt, and a still-burning-egg.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ