Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Need a Baked Bean recipe!

ShortRibShortRib Posts: 180
edited 2:09AM in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good one I can use???

Comments

• SalmonSalmon Posts: 146
    ShortRib,[p]Here is one that Hawgeyes bbq resturant in Iowa uses.......... [p]Rick’s Blue Ribbon Barbeque Pit Beans[p]
     Two 28 oz. & one 15 ½ oz cans of Bushs original baked beans
     12 oz. Barbeque sauce.
     ½ onion, finely diced
     ½ green pepper, finely diced
     2 celery stalks, finely diced
     8 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
     ½ pound brown sugar
     2 tablespoons powered hickory seasoning (or bbq rub)
     2 tablespoon celery seed
     1 pound of smoked pork or brisket
     1 aluminum half steam pan (roughly a 9x13)[p]_____________________________________________________________[p]
    Put all the above ingredients in the pan. Mix well. Cover with brown sugar, about ½ thick and do not stir in the brown sugar. Put in smoker for about two to three hours at 225 to 250 degrees, I use hickory wood. Let the brown sugar melt down into the beans. Stirring it in is not necessary.[p]Can be done in the oven.[p]Rick[p][p][p]

• GretlGretl Posts: 670
    ShortRib,
    I have never been happy using canned beans in a Baked Bean recipe. Here's one that was posted many years ago on this Forum that I am very happy with. Note that you can skip the soak and just cook the beans on a very slow simmer until just barely tender. You can line the bean pot with bacon; very good flavor. I use a LeCreuset pot and a platesetter; I don't do the extra-low temp startup, but keep the temp around 300-325 just so the beans are bubbling. Stir occasionally. Don't hurry, they're done when they're done. The aroma's great. Who is Walrus? Who is Dorothy Thomas? I don't know!

Baked Beans on the BGE[p]Baked Beans
    the walrus' modification for the BGE from Dorothy Thomas' recipe[p]2C Dry Beans (I use navy or pea beans)
    9C Water (4 C for soaking, 5 C for cooking)
    1/2 tea Baking Soda
    1/2C Molasses (I use dark Brer Rabbit brand)
    2TB Brown Sugar
    1TB Vinegar
    1/4 C Onion, chopped (I use more!)
    2TB Dry Mustard (I use prepared; either dijon or yellow)[p]Soak beans in 4 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon of soda overnight. Drain, put back in pot with 5 cups of water and cook until tender (about one hour). Drain and save cooking liquid. Put beans in a cast iron Dutch oven and add the molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, and dry mustard. Pour all the cooking liquid over the beans.[p] Baking[p]Place Dutch oven uncovered in the BGE on top of fire bricks. Use your favorite wood for smoking. Keep the temperature between 150 and 200 for about 1 hour, less time for less smoke flavor. (If not using wood smoke, start baking at 300 degrees for a total of 3 and 1/2 hours.) After smoking, bring the temperature to 300 degrees gradually. During the 3 and 1/2 hours at 300 degrees, stir at hourly intervals. Remove the Dutch oven from the BGE when the beans are about the consistency of a thick stew.[p]
    Cover the Dutch oven and let the beans rest. The rest of the liquid will be absorbed by the beans.[p]
  • CharbonCharbon Posts: 222
    Gretl, You are close. Do an overnight soak of 1 1/2 lb of marrow or jacob cattle beans. Boil 2 minutes (after soak) put into bean pot with mustard. bay leaf, pound of bacon peices (yes that's right) molasses, onion, brown sugar. Fill to top with bean water. I then put into oven at bedtime at 215 degrees. Cooks all night. I'm going to try this on egg but as yet am afraid of busting bean pot.

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,177
    2005004544.jpg
    <p />Charbon ,
    ive been using my bean pots for a few years now, some i keep for reheating and presentation, others are for the egg as they dont clean up easily. cant make good beans without a beanpot