Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazy Dog Brisket

Kamper
Kamper Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
10 lb Brisket, 275 for 7.5 hrs in a vee-rack in the venerable drip pan with Stevie Ray Vaughen blasting in the background. You can give me S*** for this, but I used Lawreys and garlic and tossed it on. Nothing fancy...when internal hit 195F, I yanked it and the results were (are) fantastic. Cut in accordance with Mikes' directions from back in December.[p]Proof again that even a MORON can be successful on the egg! That would be me.

Comments

• Kamper
    Kamper,[p]Oh yea, thanks NB for the HEP along the way!!!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Kamper,
    If it works for you that's all that counts. Enjoy

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Kamper,
    No problem. Glad it worked well. What suprises me is the very short time though for a 10 pounder. Elder was getting those real short times, but that was direct. Is your dome thermometer is calibrated????[p]If it was tender, that is what counts! And you now have the toughest cut of meat tamed to perfection....add it to your portfolio.[p]Next time, when you have more time, try 250 indirect, for 15-20 hours and compare the results. [p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kamper
    Nature Boy,[p]I think I was lucky as I had a tough time stabilizing the dome temp in the begining of the cook. Even with the daisey wheel open a smidgen and the lower vent open .5 smidgen I crept up to 300F. Within an hour, I could keep it at 270-280F. I recal'd cook before last because it was a blast furnace level steak sear. I think I'm on the mark, but you are probably correct, I should recal before a first cook to limit variables. By the way, my current tactic for a large egg to replace our venerable medium is that I think temp control is easier. Are you with me on that?[p]What was odd about the brisket is that it came out so tender as I was expecting the first go to be a bit of a disaster. What I read here and other sites called for internal temps ranging from 165F to Elder's suggested 202F, plus recommendations of 188F and 195F. I used your suggestion of fork test at 185F and pulled at 190F. What difference could a few degrees make, and it was smellin' great and I was getting hungary.[p]I filled my drip pan with water and resisted the temptation of peeking until we were at 180F internal. Next time I'll try mo slo and mo lo as there were small sections mixed in the meat that were tasty but chewy. Maybe that's the nature of the "beast" Is that your experience?[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Kamper,[p]You said: "By the way, my current tactic for a large egg to replace our venerable medium is that I think temp control is easier. Are you with me on that?"[p]You will love a large, but I don't think there is a significant difference in the ability to control temps.[p]You said "Next time I'll try mo slo and mo lo as there were small sections mixed in the meat that were tasty but chewy. Maybe that's the nature of the "beast" Is that your experience?"[p]I think you will find the longer cooks will give you a more tender brisket. Science points to the fact that the longer the brisket remains in the "collagen breakdown plateau", the mo tender it will be. [p]The flat end cooks a bit faster than the point end, and will sometimes be slightly less moist. Not chewy though. [p]Happy 4th
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kamper
    Nature Boy,[p]Appreciate your help and I'll compare notes on my next brisket attempt. I made bbq samichiz today and they were mighty tasty! I'll "dial in" times/temps a little better next time. For now, I'm gettin' a hankerin for brats, after reading the recent postings! Jeez, I'll try road kill on the egg![p]