Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

yet another brat recipe

KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
edited 3:18AM in EggHead Forum
With all this talk about brats recently, I picked up a bunch to serve at my little weekend party. I was unaware of Char-Woody's "firecracker" brat post and found a recipe I had clipped from the local newspaper a year or so ago. Went something like this. Pierce the brats a couple of times with a fork as you would potatos before baking them. Coursely chop up a couple of large onions and saute in oil. I used a large cast iron skillet. When the onions start to brown add a large can of sauerkraut, liquid and all, to the skillet and throw in the brats. Add enough beer (I used PBR of course) to provide a depth about half way up the sides of the brats. Do a splash or 2 or 3 of Tabasco sauce, more if you dare. The recipe stated that the desired effect was flavor and not heat. Slowly simmer for about 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, and the brats will be fully cooked and will have plumped up nicely. Now grill them to char up the outside. Drain the onion/kraut mixture and use as toppings on the brat rolls. Serve with course ground mustard. Yum, yum[p]K~G

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    Best Carol get home quick. At the rate you a cooking up a storm with her gone you'll be known as Mega KennyG. hehe

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    KennyG, See there,,didn't hurt a bit, and I like that idea of adding the kraut to the boil..then to the bun..That juice from the onion saute (I used butter in that step) and beer is great and with the kraut even better I betcha. Good step.

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    Just got done woofing down your Brat with sauerkraut recipe and to say the least it is fantastic. We accompanied it with pickled beets and 3 bean salad. Outstanding. Not bad for a yankee. hehe

• KennyG,
    Obviously posted by someone who has never eaten "brats" in Germany. "Pierce the brats a couple of times with a fork as you would potatos" let the juice out? Oh yeah, top it off with PBR..let's make it a real delacacy..PBR Lite!

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Right!,[p]Aw Shucks Mr AbqEgg'r, didn't mean to offend anyone. This was just a recipe I had that appeared to be worth trying. I thought it was pretty good. [p]K~G
    never been to Germany