Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked sausages?

Options
Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I've got some leftover pulled pork for lunch, but not quite enough for the two hungry guys who are joining us. So I'm going to pick up some fresh Italian sausages.[p]Any advice on time/temp for smoking these? I figured maybe an hour at 250 on the small Egg.[p]Thanks...Cat

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Cat,[p] Sounds reasonable. I do brats at 275 for about 45 minutes and that works pretty well. You might want to cut the time down a bit and finish them off at 350F for a couple minutes. I've found that if I do them under 300 for the whole time, the skin can stay rubbery. That being said, however, if you're using the small BGE, the sausages will be closer to the fire so you may not need it.[p]MikeO
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    MikeO,[p]I often grill them at around 300 for about 45 minutes on the Small. Nice and crispy and plenty juicy, too. If you add a few chunks o' wood, they do take on some smoke even at grilling temps.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• Cat
    Options
    MikeO & Cornfed -[p]I'll go with 300 and see what happens.[p]Thanks, guys![p]Cathy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cat,
    For Italian Sausage I grill it at 325-350 for about 15 minutes per side. I feel that heavy smoke flavor detracts from Italian sausage. Sausages that are already smoked, I will use smoking pellets to freshen up the smoke and cook them in about the same manner.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Cat
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks! I used just a little hickory, which didn't overwhelm the basic flavor of the sausages. But I think I prefer them unsmoked and grilled...I'll go back to that next time.[p]Cathy