Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Packaged baby backs question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought packaged baby back ribs, and on the package it says that they are packaged in a "sodium phosphate solution" to "improve tenderness and flavor." Only ones the supermarket had. Should I cut down on the salt in the rub I will be using? Will this "solution" be very detrimental to the end results?
Thanks for advice.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Jerry,
    Use a rub that contains no salt. My rub as well as others contain no salt. I like to do ribs, from tme to time, using just wood for flavor and no rubs. What ever you decide enjoy and if we can be of any other assistance let us know.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    JJ,
    Due to my age, I forgot to mention that my little Sis, Cat, is the absolute expert on baby back ribs.

• Unknown
    Options
    If they're Hormel's Always Tender baby backs, they're great!
    I do cut down on the salt in my rubs---but more for blood pressure consideration than the rib marinade. I never found the ribs themselves to be noticeably salty.
    If it's another brand----I plead ignorance!

• Unknown
    Options
    JJ,
    This forum is so terrific! I post a question and alakazam, log on 10 minutes later and you've got your answer! Thank you JJ!
    Jerry

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    JJ,[p]You are too kind, big Bro - most of my 'expertise' I owe to your patient help when I was greener than my Egg. ;-}[p]Jerry, I've never cooked ribs packaged this way, but go with JJ's advice - try a no-salt rub, or flavor them with smoke alone.[p]These may also cook faster than untreated ribs, so start testing them for doneness sooner than you might otherwise. How are you planning to cook them?[p]Cathy

• Unknown
    Options
    Cat,
    Thank you so much for your advice. They have been sitting overnight covered in JJ's rub (minus Savory, which I didn't have). I was planning on using Tim M's raised grid method - ie. raised grid over drip pan, 275 for 3 hrs, then 275 direct for another hour, adding sauce last 1/2 hour. I am planning on freezing them for 45 minutes before putting them on (thanks to you) and using hikory chips for smoke. Do you think I should check them after first 2 hrs? Most other rib recipes call for 225-250 temp. What's your thought on that?

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Jerry,[p]Dome temp can be higher when you're cooking indirect. Still, four hours total at 275 sounds like a long time for those babies, especially if that solution has brined them. Yes, I'd check after 2 hours.[p]I do baby backs in a rib rack, direct, at about 250. But there are several routes to good results! Let us know how they turn out.[p]Cathy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cat,
    Thanks again, Cat. Will check after 2 hrs. and post back results!
    Jerry