Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fire Starting - Bottom vs. Top

edited 2:38PM in EggHead Forum
Dear Forum -
Seems to be two different schools of thought re: staring Egg fires.
One group favors starting the coals from the bottom, while the other favors starting from the top. My main interest is "low & slow" cooking, & I have my own thoughts on the matter, but so far have been only been able to conduct one test burn (with no meat on the grill, as I was on call for work), so I would be interested in what the Pros have to say. Test burn was done with improvised alum. foil top vent (4 pocket knife slits for vents - still waiting for back ordered dual function metal top). With bottom vent barely cracked, top started fire eventually stabilized around 240* dome temp - polder on grill shielded from direct heat (Weber grill sitting on fire bricks sitting on main grill) showed about 15/20* less at any given time. Suspect meat mass/moisture in Egg while have some effect on dome vs. grill temps. Anxious to cook a real meal, but I'm on call for the railroad & have to wait until I know the the phone isn't going to ring (which is almost never). Doing research & keeping an eye on the forum in the meantime - Thanx

·

Comments

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    E.B.,
    My method is to start from top for low and slo and from the bottom for high temp

·
  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]I concur. One weber starter cube on top of lump for low and slow, one weber cube under the grate for high heat.[p]The Egg is grand,
    Cornfed

·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    E.B.,
    The temp variance you got is normal. I figure about 20 to 30 degrees difference between dome temp and grate temp.
    JimW

·