Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char-Woody's Firecracker Brats - Very Good

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We were going to grill Sirloin Steak. Took it out of the freezer yesterday. Put it in the fridge, (nice 2 inch thick 1.5 lb steak). Forgot to check it this morning before we headed to the country to get some green apple and maple wood for smoking.[p]Got back - Steaks were still almost solid. Disappointed. (only temporarily) Decided on Char-Woody's Firecracker brats, see his post not too far below. How long does it take to thaw brats. Not very long, especially because his recipe calls for simmering them in a beer/onion broth.[p]Rubbed mustard on brats after the simmer. Put on Egg at 550 degrees, using Cat's open top method. Grilled for three minutes on each side. They were sizzling, nice dark grill marks across each brat. (I used polish sausage).[p]Heated up JJ's dipping sauce. Put brat and dipping sauce on bun. That was heaven. Just like Char-Woody said.... Very, very good. I recommend.[p]Thanks Char-Woody, JJ, and Cat for making our dinner tonight sooooooo very good. You all contributed!!!!![p]Anthony

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    A trick I was taught years ago is to place the frozen meat (still wrapped in the freezer seal) submerged in cold water.
    They will thaw in a matter of a few hours. Works with everything. No more partially frozen meat to contend with.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Anthony Up North, your welcome.. I made 3 more of those brats for noon snack..Shared one with neighbor who was doing chicken breast on his round thing. That and a ice cold Bud Light...he happy man!!
    Cheers...Happy 4th..
    C~W[p]

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    JJ,
    Thanks. I will remember that. [p]While I've got your attention I want to tell you how much we enjoy your dipping (BQ) Sauce. We are on the second batch. It is simply great. My kind of sauce. Thanks for sharing your recipe that you worked so hard to develop.[p]I sent you a personal message a few days ago and got a return (non-deliverable) on it. Maybe I typed in the wrong e-mail or something. Anyway, I said there what I say above.[p]So thanks again.[p]Anthony[p]Anthony

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]The Brats were good - but with an ice cold St. Pauli Girl. (A German Import heavy beer). Nothing like it.[p]Your brat recipe is a keeper. (And I like brats).[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Anthony Up North, Enjoy the Brats..maybe we could call em "rug brat's"? Your in the real Bratwurst country or close to it. I spotted that brew on the shelf the other day. German Brew tempted me. I will try it next go around.
    Cheers...
    C~W[p]

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]There are some real fine Amerivcan Brews. I used to drink Miller Black Lable for agees. Then my wife's German cousins came for a visit to this country. Claimed American beers tasted like water (light). They like a heavy beer. I tried a few - Heineken, Becks, and St. Pauli Girl and others. Tried Sam Adams and American Premium beers. For me its St. Pauli Girl - a nice pale, cold, heavy beer, (and your Brats) and I'm in food heaven.[p]You are right we live in German country up here. Still a lot of butchers - many make old fashion sausages. Many are wonderful - especially on the Egg. I can't wait to be tryin many of them with your recipe.[p]Thanks again. Enjoy your 4th. You are right! We should not forget what the 4th of July means to this country.[p]Cheers.[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Anthony UP North, Thanks for the review..and your on the money with the rest..Thanks..Good Q to you and yours!
    C~W[p]