Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket ?

Options
Mark Smith
Mark Smith Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 6# flat on at 11:00 last night indirect at 235. This morning at 7 it was up to 180. I had to leave for a couple of hours. When I got back it was down to 165 and it has stayed there ever since. The temp of the egg has stayed steady. What to do?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Mark Smith,[p]The internal temperature can stall or fall a little during the plateau period. 15 degrees is a unusual, but keep the temp of the cooker where you want it and just wait, it will rise. On smaller briskets like yours, foiling it once the internal temp is above 165 will help it move toward your target temp. Foil will change the finished product slightly. The bark will not be crunchy and the texture may resemble pot roast. The upside is that foil will help keep the finished product moist.[p]It may be a good idea to take a couple of temperature readings in the flat to make sure you did not take a reading in a fatty area (hot spot).[p]~thirdye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SonOfDaMayor
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I was watching the All-Star BBQ Showdown on OLN this morning (tivo) and I heard them refer to the foil method as a "Texas Crutch" although I have no idea why. Maybe they poplularized it down there. But I use the same techniques.