Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower Slide Vent ??

Kamper
Kamper Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Besides the lower half of my most excellent egg, the lower slide vent is the only original piece left, but it's time to replace it too and I think the stainless upgrade is the way to go. I was wondering if others who have opted for the upgrade bothered with any hi temp sealant around the edges (like on the original installation)? Or, should I just slap it on and get back to grillin'?[p]Also, I apoligize for the lack of an appropriate segue, but after all the brisket discussion a few months ago, I was wondering if consensus was reached on a simple prep that I could employ tomorrow (I know, fat chance)? Today is a rib day and need to follow up with a tour de force...

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Kamper,
    Go with high engine sealant.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Kamper,
    On the brisket, try this one! It is excellent, and easy to do. Rub right before putting it on.
    Have fun
    NB

[ul][li]Elder Ward's Brisket Rub[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kamper
    JJ,[p]Being a "Gear Head", it just so happens I have a tube of the stuff... Thanks!

• Kamper
    Nature Boy,[p]Did you bother with a stone under the vee-rack and drip pan? Did 275 dome give good results? Recommend any adjustments? Do you think mesquite would be too much, too intense? I have a little hickory left and thought I would go with that, unless you have had a mo bettah experience with something else...please let me know. Oh yea, did the recommended internal temp work out?[p]Thanks for the HEP (as we say down here...)

• Nature Boy
    Kamper,
    I used a bare pizza stone, and a second grate elevated over that. No drip pan. I used 270 dome temp, and a 7 pounder took 10 hours. I was really suprised how good it was for such a short cook. I prefer 250, but this was damn near as good as the slower method. No foil was used until I pulled it off.[p]Took it to a party, and it disappeared quickly. Mesquite works great. Not sure why people say it is bitter....I have never had that happen. Hickory, oak and fruitwoods also good. Pretty flexible cut of meat.[p]200 internal works great if you are serving right away. Go for 185-190 if you will be putting in a cooler for a while. You can always do your fork check at 185, and see where you are at. Every chunk-o-chest is different. I need to do another one.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Kamper
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the advice. This is my first brisket, and after 5.5 hours it is smellin' fine at 168F internal. I can't let the troops down as we had baby backs last night (250 for 4 hrs) and they were soooo good I went catatonic and lost vision for a short perrrrrrrrrrrriod (sorry, BBQ sauce makes my key board stick...). We have plenty of ice cold beer and my wife the pyro is down at the family magazine pulling out this evenings ordnance display. Is this a great country, or what? Hoo Yaa!!!!

• Nature Boy
    Kamper,
    Hoooo Yaaaa Back atcha! Yep. Great country.
    168 now. Cool!! Sometimes I have had it drop back to 165 at this point, and slowly make its way back to 168. Fun to watch thae HUGE stall you get when you reach the plateau, and the connective tissue starts breaking down. Just enjoy the stall, and remember the magic is happening.[p]Chunk-o-chest rules.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Kamper
    Nature Boy,[p]I did what we all should do during the great collagen breakdown, I walked away and did something else...