Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My bitts's 172 degrees

SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
edited 9:37AM in EggHead Forum
I put two butts on last night (about 9:00pm, each about 2.5- 3 lbs from Sam's club). By morning, temp fell a bit to about 180* (coal only needed a little stiring). Its now 10:30 and they look great! Dome temp about 250* and internal temp is 172* and I'm planning to take them off when internal temp reaches 185*. [p]Any thoughts? I've heard many different thoughts about when a butt's done (from 170 - 200 degrees). Please advise![p]Smokey
·

Comments

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    Smokey,
    195-200* will give you pulled pork. 185* will be more toward sliced.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Smokey,
    Try twisting a fork in it. With practice you can feel by sliding the polder probe in and out. It should slide in and out very esily. If there is much resistance, or "grab, then get closer to 200. Each butt is different.
    Enjoy!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the advice. I'm in no hurry, so I'll just wait (my eat a bagel or something)![p]Smokey

·
    JJ,[p]You just know to D____ much about this stuff! Maybe in about 10 years (of Q'in), I won't have to ask so many questions! Thanks![p]Smokey

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Smokey,
    A bagel would be grand. Those bloody mary's you mixed up at the fest looked mighty nice too.[p]Enjoy.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • Smokey,
    Cook those little "bitt's" to 201..you won't regret it.

·
    Nature Boy,[p]The bloody mary sounds good, but I gota work tomorrow, don't want to get started on another good thing and have to quit early![p]Smokey[p]
    ·
  • iR1,[p]No problem! Going to a party at 5:00pm tonight![p]Smokey

·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Smokey,
    I still ask questions and am still learning.

·