Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fire Cube Prices

Anthony Up NorthAnthony Up North Posts: 205
edited 10:00PM in EggHead Forum
When I bought my BGE going on two months ago, I also got a package of fire cubes - 12 to a stick, 3 sticks in the package. Price was $10.95. This is about .30 cents per cube.[p]I'm running out. So I go to my local ACE Hardware. They sell Weber grills (sorry to mention that name here). Yep. ACE had the cubes. Exactly the same as I got from the BGE dealer except in an ACE box. Only the ACE price was $3.95 for 3 sticks of 12. That's about 10 cents a cube. WOW. I bought 4 packages. That will last me a year![p]Anyone interested the order number is: ACE 84028.[p]Now don't anyone come back here and spoil this tight-wad's day by telling me they got them for a nickle a cube at Walmart. [p]Anthony
·

Comments

• CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    Anthony Up North,[p]Nice find! I use Weber cubes to light my Egg. I was using newspaper for a long time since I figured my cost with using newspaper was zero since I subscribe to the paper anyway to read and since I'd never be without it since my subscription is daily and I'm lazy in throwing away newspapers for a few days. The cubes are pretty cheap, though, and are available at enough places that I normally go to every so often and are so darn convenient that once I tried em, I never went back.[p]Good job on finding the good deal!
    Cornfed

·
  • Cornfed,
    I tried paper a few times but could never get it to work. I twisted the sheets into a braid... Nothing. I crushed up single sheets, nothing.... Maybe its the paper I have... it may be politically correct and not want to cause ash. Do you think????[p]Back to cubes. Now for a dime I think what the heck... splurge... be luxurious.[p]Actually though I like the cubes better because they are cleaner.[p]Enjoy your week-end in New Jersey! Which reminds me of a NJ story. (True I guess)
    It seems a commuter from NYork to NJersey had a bumper sticker that read: "I'm glad I live in New York so I can vote against Hillary." On one comute to NJ this NY driver was pullued over by a NJ highway patrol, who it seems are very tough on NYork drivers. He pulled the gal over and said while laughing very hard "I really should give you a ticket madaam, but that is the funniest bumper sticker I have seen." So he gave her only a warning slip[p]Anthony[p].

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    firestarters.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North:[p]Regarding fire starters, these parafin and sawdust fireplace starters were inexpensive and it only takes a half inch plug lit and nestled in your lump to start a fire. Cannot remember how much they were, but I am almost out after a year and a half and many, many cooks . . .

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Anthony Up North, I get Weber Firestarter cubes in packages of 24 at Lowes (stock number 94724) for 1.94 - about 8 cents per cube.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    djm5x9,
    Yep, those are great! Used them both. You really only need a very small piece to get a good fire goin. I sometimes buy the small starter logs for 33 cents, and it gives me about 35 starts (less than a penny each). Just sawdust and parafin like you said.[p]Your picture will help a lot of people. Walmart has the Rutland starters. I remember about $1 pack of 24 (like your picture). Which actually means 72, cuz you only need a third of one cube to start your fire.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • Anthony Up North,
    With all due respect to you fire cubes...i'll stick with my little Mapp gas torch. Push button...fire...hold for 5 seconds...let go button...close lid. Hot fire in 10 min. Cost was $8.95 two years ago, same bottle of mapp gas, many lites in egg, several plumbing projects, couple of bonfires etc. etc. etc. PS Also very effective at de-winging agressive flies hanging around trying to get a taste of BBQ.

·