Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I'm getting hungry.

edited 9:32AM in EggHead Forum
eggpic.jpg
<p />I try to read this forum while I'm at work but it always makes me hungry for my BGE. I have had my Egg for a year and only recently started to check out this forum. What took me so long? You guys have lots of great recipes and ideas. Happy 4th to all.
Wish I was smokin,
RBK

·

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    RBK, Nice setup and welcome to the forum!

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RBK , Wow...where have ya been..Thats a great tile and woodworking job on that cabinet..Beautiful..
    Welcome to the hottest cooking forum going..(we think anyway)
    C~W[p]

·
  • Wow!!! I too say WOW!! Do you live anywhere near Drexel North Carolina. Beautiful set up--Welcome--If you have any recipes that are as good as that humpty holder looks -- SHARE THEM!!!
    yours in the egg--the WOW!! Colonel

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,341
    RBK ,
    Not sure WHAT took you so long to find us here, but looks like you've been busy in the meantime!! Nice job on the great home for humpty...is that a medium?? Hard to judge the scale![p]Welcome to the group here. You will learn more than you ever imagined if you hang out for a spell. We'd be also curious what you have learned in the absence of the forum. You probably have quite a few of your own techniques you have developed without being steered by the forum. Sorta like Jimi Hendrix was self-taught, and came up with his own thing!! Well kinda.[p]So, what you got cookin this weekend at your gorgeous cook center??[p]Happy Freeedom
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • RBK ,
    Beautiful job on the table. In the photo however, it looks like there is no air gap between the tile and grout and the egg. I have always thought that when I built on that I would leave about an inch. I know that would be necessary if the wood frame was touching it but with the quarry tile I guess not. [p]I guess I was thinking too, that would be needed for expansion of the egg. If your tile and grout is tight up against the egg, has this not been a problem? Have you had the egg up to some high temps with this setup, like for searing a steak? Thanks for your help.

·
  • Carlina Wizard, There is actually a small gap between the egg and the table. I used sanded silicone based caulk around the egg. I have had it up to 700deg with no problems at all. Most of the high heat seems to stay in the lid not the base. I am not real familar with the thermal dynamics of ceramic but I don't think that it expands enough to worry about. Good luck
    RBK

·
  • RBK,
    Yeah, I thought about it after I sent you the question, if expansion is that big of a problem those metal rings that they use to hold the egg in the egg stand might be a problem also. But an engineer may say that the metal ring expands easier than the ceramic...who knows? Anywho, I still love your table and I'll have me one like it soon. Thanks again for the inspiration!!

·
  • The Colonel,
    I live in Salt Lake City, UT.

·
  • Carolina Wizard,
    The total cost for materials was about $200.00. I used 1x4x6' rough cut cedar fence boards from Home Depot and planed them smooth. The frame is made out of 2x4 studs. 3/4" plywood under wonderboard provide the base for the ceramic tile counter top. I made a cover out of heavy canvas which I keep on it when not in use.
    If you have any more questions let me know.
    RBK

·
  • Nature Boy,
    I am better at making tables than making up recipes. Yes, it is a medium. Now that I'm here on the forum my variety of Egg meals will increase. Unfortunately I have to work all weekend so the Egg will be cold.
    Drink and smoke one for me,
    RBK

·