Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

King Salmon

Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend is going King Salmon fishing this weekend. Would anyone smoke King different than Coho? Thanks.
Fireball

Comments

• Fireball, salmon is salmon...some have more flavor than others but the flesh is all very simular....coho is a little better quality than king....but king aint bad, especially fresh.....
  • Fireball, salmon is salmon...some have more flavor than others but the flesh is all very simular....coho is a little better quality than king....but king aint bad, especially fresh.....
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Fireball,
    Gary, where you been??? Haven't heard from you in years, (or so it seems ;)), you still cooking and helping others like the old days? Good to hear from you again man, and don't be a stranger.
    Later,
    Ron.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    7e88cf0e.jpg
    <p />Fireball,[p]I like all varieties of salmon, but for smoking the higher oil content of King and Sockeye adds flavor and helps to keep the fish moist during cooking. Coho, Chum and Pink follow in fat content. [p]You are lucky to be getting it fresh! I have to settle for farm raised (some is even Atlantic) most of the year. As far as cooking it, King is a little more forgiving during smoking, it won't dry out as easily as Coho.[p]Enjoy![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • nodock,[p]Dock you're incorrect on the quality issue. No salmon beats King in quality. From there you only go into the different river runs; Yukon, Copper River, etc.[p]Don't get me wrong Coho ain't bad and I eat it frequently. Chum is borderline bait fish IMO. But King salmon is the USDA Prime of that fish species.[p]Todd
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    ChefRD,
    Ron, yes I am still around. Still cooking and traveling around on the KCBS circuit on a stick burning team. Haven't posted much anywhere in a long time. How is retirement treating you? Gary

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Fireball,
    Its great!, But I have to confess I went back to work part time doing something entirely different (but related). It requires traveling and investigating stuff, so it is very interesting. :)
    Hope to meet up with you guys again soon,
    Ron.