Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoked Garlic?

BGE Pit CrewBGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
edited 6:14PM in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I'm pretty sure someone posted smoked garlic before, but I can't find in the archives. I am wanting to smoke the whole bulb. Any and all help greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks, and keep smokin, Dana

Comments

• QBabeQBabe Posts: 2,275
    BGE Pit Crew,[p]We do roasted garlic all the time. Cut the head of garlic in two. Drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle the cut sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place into a small baking dish (we use little 6" cast iron ones that we fit 4-6 halves in) and roast indirect on a 300° - 325° egg for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the cloves become soft. If you don't have any bakeware for the egg, you can just use heavy duty foil, but don't close it up, just make a little pan out of it.[p]We often make a bunch and then freeze the cloves we don't use. They keep well and then we can use them in lots of different recipes. We also use the flavored oil as well.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe, thanks a bunch! I'm guessing you cut the head at the mid section? How much of the loose shell do you remove?[p]Thanks again, Dana

• QBabeQBabe Posts: 2,275
    Dana,[p]Yes, we cut at about the midsection and then we remove any of the loose stuff that wants to fall off by itself. Mostly we leave it on, so it holds the cloves in place. When it's done, you just squeeze the soft garlic out of each little pocket.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• I have smoked as much as half a big bottle of the peeled cloves from Costco at a time. Such a fine ingredient for pizza.