Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Salmon and steak, only 1 Egg!

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sunday is my son's birthday party for the family members (we'll have another next weekend for just his friends), and I've been asked by my soon-to-be-8-year-old to do both steak and salmon on the grill.[p]Well, I've bought 5 strip steaks and 2 salmon filets. I plan to do the salmon on cedar planks, and I was thinking of doing the steaks TRex style. Problem: I've only got one Large BGE (for now; I'm picking up a Small at Eggtoberfest), and no grid extender.[p]What would you guys do in this situation? I know TRex says the steaks can sit for 20 minutes after the sear, but I'd be looking at closer to 40 to cool the grill down and then cook the fish. Then I'd have to keep the salmon warm while I finished the steaks.[p]Any suggestions?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    this is a tricky one. . .certainly, salmon doesn't have to be hot off the grill like steak does (IMHO). .. .i think i'd go trex for the steaks, and do the salmon during the time the egg is coming down from temps. . .i know that typically you want to put the wet planks on the egg first for about five minutes till they start to 'crackle', then put the salmon filets on. . .. i would put the planks on the hot egg when you pull the steaks . ..the combination of cold wet planks and shutting the vents should bring the egg temps down pretty quickly (at least into the 500 degree range. . .then i'd go ahead ahead and put the salmon fillets on the planks. . .at the higher temps (and i usually do planked salmon at 425 anyway) the salmon fillets should only take about 10 - 15 minutes to be done (give em a good squirt of lemon juice about halfway through the cook or even lay some lemon slices on top of the fish to add a little moistness). . . then go ahead and pull the fish, cover with foil while you dwell the steaks. . .i'm thinking you will have a great combination with no problems. .. [p]HTH. ...

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks for the advice. I followed it today, and it worked great.[p]However, I didn't like the idea of the salmon getting cold. Plus, I've always wanted to buy a chafing dish, anyway. So guess what I picked up at Sam's today? ;-)[p]By the way, a chafing dish is one of those rare purchases that can actually improve the quality of your marriage! It drives me crazy when I bring food in hot off the Egg, and my wife wants to do a bunch of things that delay us eating, allowing my latest food offering to cool off and not be as impressive. Well, with the chafing dish, this is no longer a problem. I got the big chafing dish that can hold two aluminum pans side by side. I was able to put the steak and salmon both in there, and it kept everything perfectly warm.[p]Anyway, thanks again for the help!

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Julia Child years ago in one of cookbooks suggests that you can hold anything in an 180 degree oven for about an hour and a half without it cooking anymore. I have successfully done this with steaks but in your case I would do it with the salmon. Good luck.