Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shallot Ideas

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has made two requests for dinner this weekend, beef (preferably tenderloin) and shallots? Anyone have any creative ideas? I've done filets with a wine/shallot sauce in the past but am looking for something new.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    here is the perfect recipe for tenderloin and shallots. ..btw, the lobster tails are optional, it is great either way. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    here is the perfect recipe for tenderloin and shallots. ..btw, the lobster tails are optional, it is great either way. ..[p]Lobster-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Bearnaise Sauce
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
    Show: Emeril Live[p]Episode: Emeril Kicks up the Holidays [p] [p][p]2 rock lobster tails
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/4 pound pancetta or bacon, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    3 tablespoons minced celery
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    4 ounces baby chanterelle mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced green onions
    2 tablespoons dry white wine
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 center-cut beef tenderloin, about 3 1/2 pounds, trimmed and butterflied
    Steamed fresh asparagus, as accompaniment
    Bearnaise Sauce, recipe follows
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Set up a large steamer. Place the lobster tails in the steamer and steam until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove the lobster tails from the steamer. Cut along the underside of the shell and remove the tail meat whole. Set aside
    In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and a pinch each of salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onions and stir. Add the wine, increase the heat, and cook until it has nearly all evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and stir. Remove from the heat, stir in the cooked pancetta, and let cool.
    Spread the butterflied beef, cut side up, flat on a surface. Spread the pancetta-vegetable mixture in a line across the meat, about 2 inches from the top, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the sides. Lay the lobster tails on top of the mixture, going across the beef. Pull the top flap over the lobster tails and roll the meat over the stuffing, jellyroll fashion, and tuck in the ends. Tie with kitchen twine every 2 inches.
    Place in a large heavy roasting pan, rub on all sides with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place over medium-high heat and sear the meat on all sides, about 6 minutes. Place in the oven and roast to desired temperature, 30 to 35 minutes for medium-rare.
    Transfer to a cutting board. Tent and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Remove the kitchen twine and slice thickly. Place on a platter, surround with the asparagus, and drizzle with the Bearnaise Sauce. Serve immediately.
    Bearnaise Sauce:
    2 tablespoons chopped shallots
    4 sprigs fresh tarragon
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup dry vermouth
    4 large egg yolks
    1 cup (2 sticks) melted unsalted butter or clarified butter
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
    In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, tarragon, white wine, and vermouth. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Remove from the heat, strain, and cool.
    In the top of a double boiler, or in a metal bowl fitted over a pot of barely simmering water, whisk the egg yolks and reduced wine until ribbons start to form. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the melted butter a bit at a time until all the butter is added and the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the lemon juice, chopped tarragon, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve. To serve, place in a decorative bowl with a small sauce ladle.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    here is a couple of pics. .[p]DSCN0711.jpg[p]DSCN0712.jpg[p]DSCN0720.jpg
    (i left it on the egg a tad too long. .but otherwise great. .)

• Ironbaugh
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max- Did you cook at 400 on the egg or T-Rex? Thx, Rick

• Wahooegger
    Options
    Max,
    That looks incredible. What temp. on the egg?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wahooegger,[p]basically a trex methodology[p]
    i seared it in a cast iron pan for a couple of minutes per side at around 750 . .[p]DSCN0716.jpg[p]then i pulled it for 20 minutes, let the egg settle at 400 degrees and put it back on direct on the grid, turning it every now and then till done (should have been around 35 minutes - i let it go a little too long). . .with the lobster tails it was hard to gauge internal temps, so i think it is better to trust the dome temp and a clock.. ..just pull it after 35 minutes. . .also, i think i'd be tempted to stick a plate setter in the egg and let it dwell in indirect mode for those 35 minutes . . . either way, it was excellent. . .[p]also, here is a pic of the mushroom/shallot mix on the stove. . .. this stuff is great and can also be used as a stromboli stuffing or pizza topping. . .. or even as a side garnish for steaks or other roast beef. .. . great stuff!![p]DSCN0708.jpg

• Wahooegger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks. Can't wait to try it.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    no problem, let me know how it turns out. . .heck, i'll come to leesburg and taste test it for you, and if i decide its no good i'll just bring it home with me .. hate to have your wife mad at you :-)

• Wahooegger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I appreciate the offer. I suspect, though, that even if it didn't met my wife's expectations, my dog would think it was just fine!

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    I made some red wine/shallot butter to put on steaks a couple of weeks ago that was fantastic. Let me know if you want the recipe.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    bigmikej,
    I'd be interested in the recipe.
    Thanks, Bob

• bigmikej,
    I would definitely be interested in the recipe.