Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fire Mats and Plastic Dishes

JimWJimW Posts: 450
edited 9:16AM in EggHead Forum
A year or so ago, there were discussions on the forum about mats to put under the egg that were fire proof/resistant that would protect a deck from sparks and embers from the egg. Does anyone know of a manufacturer or source for these things? Also, from any RV'ers out there, how do you secure/store your dishes when traveling?

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    JimW,[p]My Home Depot sells gray mats for that purpose, in the Q section of the store.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Toy ManToy Man Posts: 416
    The wife bought me one. Not sure where she got it from but I see them in the BBQ section of some of the stores here. Shown below hanging from the back of my table.[p]Newtablehooksandwheels7-2005-small.jpg[p]
    I also use a piece of screening that I lean over the intake.
    That probably does a better job of preventing embers from 'jumping' onto the deck.[p]BGEscreen1.jpg[p]
    Toy Man

• JimW,[p]Dishes --[p]There are several methods. Best one depends on your storage space, number of dishes, etc.[p](1) Buy a small plastic storage container, just large enough to hold your dishes. As you pack the dishes, use dish towels to nestle them together. Tuck extra's such as salt shakers wrapped in dish cloths into the empty spaces. This is dual duty - storage for both the dishes and the towels.[p](2) Rubberized shelf liner. Works best for kitchens that aren't on the rear of the rig. Just line the shelves. Then use extra circles, squares, etc. to put between the plates, around cups and glasses. Nestle all of them very close together, so each gets benefits of support from the others.[p](3) Tightly pack the space. In a cabinet, for example, fill empty spaces around the dishes with packs of napkins, rolls of paper towels and any other soft goods that you're taking along. [p](4) Another option for plastic dishes is to store then in the dish drainer. (I wouldn't recommend this for glass or ceramic items.) Then, put the drainer in the sink, if it'll fit. If not, stow under the sink. Again, dishtowels, and such, will help keep them from shifting. [p](5) If your budget will permit, some RV and camping supplier's have accessory items made for this purpose. Zippered bags and cases made especially for this purpose. Personally they are overkill unless you're taking along fine china for a special occassion.[p]Hope this helps.
    Longmill