Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

which egg?

Options
eggdog
eggdog Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my buddy just ordered his egg. i can't let him get ahead of me. can't decide between the large egg or the new XL. any thoughts on if you can cook a large 20-24lb turkey on the large egg? thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    eggdog,
    20 pounds, definitely yes, as I have read several people post here over the years that they did 20 pounders. I'm not sure about 24.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    eggdog,
    I have both sizes;and now I am looking at purchasing a small, or mini at this years eggtoberfest. My suggestion to you would be to purchase a large; then if you find that you need a larger size, buy the XL. I find that the large fulfills my requirements, except when I am cooking for a group, or the Mrs. wants to fill the freezers with pulled pork, briskets, or tri-tips!
    Just my opinion! Good luck on whatever your decision.
    Hammer

• eggdog
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thanks. btw, found your site researching the BGE and it is chocked full of info. have you had any experience with the XL egg? most of my bbq'ing is for maybe four people, but i am the extended family thanksgiving turkey man, and can host groups of 14 or so for some LSU games. money is not really an issue, and i like the size of the xl for the big group days, but it doesn't have the track history of the large. just don't know what to do. :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    eggdog,
    Thanks! The large can easily feed fourteen if you are doing brisket and butt. Chef Wil got 20 slabs of St. Louis Spares into a large, but that was pretty extreme. So, the large would do you, but hey, the XL would let you do some things you can't do on the Large. I don't have an XL, so some of those folks can probably chime in to help you.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • eggdog,
    I AM NEW AT THIS EGG THING AND AM REALLY ENJOYING IT . THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO. GOOD TO SEE ANOTHER TIGER FAN ON THIS POST. THE LARGE HAS NOT LET ME DOWN YET. GO TIGERS !!!!

• eggdog
    Options
    TIGERDAVE, go tigers! 22 days til kick off. :)

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    eggdog,
    I'm not sure you could do as big a turkey in the Xl as you could in the Large, I guess if you laid it down flat you sure could, but I don't think it has the head room to stand one up vertically.[p]

• eggdog,
    if money is not an issue than i would get 2 larges. 2 eggs are the way to go as you can cook different foods at different temps.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I have both. I think you'll find the large much more versatile. Also, the charcoal is closer to the cooking grate in the XL. I mainly use the XL for competition and catering. Most of my general cooking for family and friends is done on a large and I routinely cook for 10-20 folks. If money isn't an object, I'd recommend getting a large/small combo. That's the ideal setup IMHO. You'll be in food nirvana no matter which side you choose. Good luck![p]Jim
  • Bubba Q
    Bubba Q Posts: 19
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    20 slabs? Is there any photo documentation? Whiz, I am a huge fan, love your work for all the eggers and truly do believe you, but I sure would like to see that.