Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can't be, and don't want to be

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can't be, and don't want to be confrontational, but I remember "your" posts within the last 30 days in which you stated that the placement of holes in the fire ring were wrong with the one directly over the bottom vent. You sought ways to plug that and as I recall you planned to use the suggestion of plugging it with a metal bolt. I'm no engineer, but I know metal expands when hot at a rate different than ceramics designed to withstand 2000 degrees. The stress has to play some part in the cracked fire box IMHO.
Personally I'm sorry you have had a problem as you and I purchased our eggs at about the very same time and have come on to this board together. It appears Ed Fisher is replacing the fire box or any other parts (except the bands due to customer error) as promised. Shipping and handling shouldn't be his expense on a case by case basis, but as for a prudent marketing point I also agree with the idea that replacements should be made available at the dealers. Merely trading in a broken ring should be ample proof of purchase with no questions asked. Color this kat gone...

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    one feral kat,
    "On the firebox vice soapbox" I vote for you. I am traveling to Atlanta this weekend to visit the BGE showroom. I will pass your sentiments along to the fine people at BGE. Hoepfully, they have a plan worked out to compensate this type problem in the future. I agree why should we have to pay shipping on a warranty piece. The dealer should should issue the part and get compensated from the company.

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Not sure since you didn't specify, but I would guess this comment was directed at me. In answer your "IMHO", I haven't blocked those holes yet, so your assumption is pointless. Why so aggressive, it's not allowed to complain about the mystical BGE?[p]I purchased two eggs. One firebox cracked in half in less than two months. I checked the other one today; I've had it three weeks, cooked in it four times (one hi-temp) and it has several developing cracks. My dealer doesn't support his customers and expects me to pay the $25 shipping for each replacement. Yes I'm angry and I think I have a right to be. Why post here? Because I wanted to find out if it were truly a problem, or if I had simply been unlucky and gotten a couple of defective parts.