Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna Tuna Fish!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got me a couple nice tuna filets to cook up tomorrow, but haven't done tuna. Plan on searing and cooking medium rare. Seasoning ideas???? Soy sesame ginger?? Or what? Would appreciate any suggestions. [p]Thanks
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Try this. 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 3 garlic cloves, minced, and 1 small onion, minced. Put soy and lemon juice in a blender. With the moter running, add the oil slowly. Pour into a bowl and add the garlic and onion. Marinate the tuna for 30 to 45 minutes, no longer. Sear to taste at 650F, about 2 minutes per side depending on thickness.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I did my last ones in Moore's marinate (no relation) for a few hours. It is a soy based product so your soy - ginger idea should also work. I do mine like JimW, high temp sear to your liking, like a steak. I added some Original Char-Crust on one to test it, very good IMHO.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JimW,
    That sounds great.
    Also sounds like a fairly flexible base. Maybe a bit less garlic, some fresh ginger, and we are talkin!! Thanks!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    Sounds like soy is the way to go. A staple around here!
    I'm geared up! Thanks!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have coated Yellowfin steaks with a heavy crust of either sesame seed, grains of paradise, or black pepper. Dry seared. I know the soy marinade sounds wonderful but when push comes to shove, I keep making the pepper crust version. Try the soy and let us know!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Soy - ginger - sesame is very good with tuna, but add fresh garlic too. tuna needs the oomph from garlic to be its best. a little fresh dill or rosemary is good too. i did some steaks with soy, ginger, toasted sesame oil, lemon, and garlic, then rolled them in toasted sesame seeds - excellent grilled over a little mesquite. a little lemon grass or lemon verbena adds a good touch too.[p]Mary

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Mary,
    Now you are talkin!! Thanks. I have heard these Grains of Paradise are great in tuna too. Sesame seems to be perfect for the job....and will look purty too![p]Have a great day.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gretl,
    I have 2 filets. Maybe I will try both!
    Do you have any proportions, or do you just pile the stuff on?? Mist with oil, or totally dry??[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com