Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After dueling pork chops she crosses over to the egg side

Options
Grillicious
Grillicious Posts: 347
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has been chiding me a bit for only cooking on the egg and using our big $3000 stainless steel gasser as a work station for the egg. So last weekend I did the pork chops on the gasser, and guess what, they came out dry. Now to be honest, this was partly because I did not calibrate a brand new instant read thermometer, and it was roughly 15 degrees off.
We had two more pork chops left, so last night I fired up the egg and the gas grill for a duel, cooking one 1" thick pork chop on each. (Yes, the thermometer is now calibrated) Both had DP Swamp Venom on them, and the egg was at about 400 while the gas grill was at about 375 since the meat is so much closer to the heat. 10 minutes per side for both.
When they were done she did a blind taste test, not knowing which was cooked where. Guess which one won! I have to admit the gassed chop was juicier than last weekends now that the thermometer is calibrated. But the egged chop was juicier still, and much more full of flavor.
But when I said "...at least now I know I can get them plenty juicy on the gas grll", she said "...better not chance it, stick to the egg". That's when I knew she had "crossed over to the egg side" (Star Wars reference).

Comments

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Grillicious,
    So I guess you can sell that big gasser now and use the $$$ to buy some more eggs and eggsessories.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Grillicious, Why don't you donate that gasser to some charitable group that your wife has an interest in. You score twice with one move, it's gone and she owes you one. If you collect on the latter, you will truly be my hero.....LOL. Tom
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Dimple's Mom, nope, gotta keep it. It's still useful, particularly at parties when the egg is full of low 'n slow.

• Grillicious
    Options
    Sandbagger, ha, if only it was that simple. She wants to keep it, she just wants whatever is cooked best on the egg cooked on the egg. And as we all know here, that list is long. Actually I want to keep it too. We got it because when we have parties she had me running in and out to the grill constantly. With that big thing I can relax a little more. I know what I'll hear next.... I should get more eggs, or maybe an XL or 2, LOL. Maybe someday, but that won't fly right now.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Grillicious, That's why I got a medium, for my large.