Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grill grate

Phil
Phil Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read of eggers using Cast Iron Grill grates
especially on steaks....where can I find one of these that
fit the large? Thanks

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Phil,
    You can order one from the BGE headquaters in Atlanta.
    Larry

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Phil,[p]I'm not sure it is a necessary addition.[p]I bought one and used it a few times, and saw no noticable difference. Steaks are FANTATIC using the regular grate and have beutiful grill marks![p]The cast iron is HEAVY and a bit difficult to move around (don't know why I would move it much).[p]The wife asked for steaks tonight, so I will give it another go![p]Smokey

• RedRocTed
    RedRocTed Posts: 3
    Saw Malcolm Reed use them.  He has a set with rounded corners that work well but I have no been able to find them.  He also turned them over to use the back of the plates as a flat top

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I had one, it took a digger and busted into 4 pieces...now for steak I use my PizzaSteel.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Why are all he old posts in bold font?
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    slovelad said:
    Why are all he old posts in bold font?
    So old posters can read their own posts!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    ain't that the truth!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    The cast iron grates work excellently for meatloaf, flat side up. I also use mine for reverse sear by leaving them under the platesetter while doing the cook to temp, they are pretty much ready to go after the platesetter is pulled having been exposed directly to the coals radiation. One of the other members here devised this method and it works great. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa