Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help-last minute for first cook

Options
guavawood
guavawood Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's my scenario. I'm planning on doing 4 racks of spares and two spatchcocked chickens. I want to do the ribs on a rib rack on the BGE grate and the chickens on a second grate 7" above the first one. [p]Here are my questions: [p]Should I put the rib racks in a pan or direct? If direct, should I put a drip pan below even though I have no stone o plate setter? Can the drip pan catch fire?[p]Should I do the chickens with or without a pan or foil? Is it ok to drip on ribs?[p]Should I keep lover vent 1/2 open or 1/4 open? Any tips on how much to open daisy wheel?[p]I'm thinking 3 hours for chicken and 5 hours for ribs at about 250 degrees.[p]Should I fill with BGE lump to just above holes?[p]This is going to be happening in a couple of hours![p]Thanks and Aloha![p]Greg Kemp

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    guava wood,
    I usually put the plate setter in legs up so it is an indirect cook (for ribs). As far as drip pans, I have done it with and without. Without makes the platesetter messy. I've never done a double-decker thing, so will leave that for others to talk about.[p]The lower vent and daisy wheel will probably not be open much to keep the temp at 250. I think it's different for each egg.[p]I fill the lump up to the top of the fire box, so I guess that is above the holes.[p]Have fun with your first cook - sounds like you're being quite ambitious![p]Gwen

• JeffHughes
    JeffHughes Posts: 100
    Options
    guava wood,[p]I hate to put a damper on things, but cooking chicken over pork is considered a nono.[p]I'd cook the spares at 250 dome, direct on elavated grid, for 4 or 5 hours, then wrap in foil and store in a towel lined cooler. Then cook the chicken at 350 dome(less than an hour)...[p]Each cooker will have it's own temp control personallity, but on mine the vent and daisy wheel are barely open for 250. When I remove the daisy wheel completely(topless), temp runs about 350.[p]Just fill the egg up to about the top of the fire ring.[p]Enjoy--Jeff

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    613377ea.jpg
    <p />guava wood,[p]Pictured are beef ribs, but you get the idea. Ribs like an indirect set up. I would use some kind of drip pan or just some foil. If you have no platesetter, maybe you can rig up some sort of heat shield. [p]The chicken will cook fine at 250°. Put the ribs over the chicken. Fill the lump well above the holes. Adjust vent settings to get a 275°-300° dome temp which will put you in the 250° range for your grate temp. On my LGE, for 250°,the lower vent is open 1/2" or less and the daisy is cracked. [p]~thirdeye~[p]PS Love the guava, another shipment is headed my way right now.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • guavawood
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]how long for chicken at 250° indirect on BGE grate level? how long for chicken at 350° same place?[p]Ribs are smelling great! Temp is now at 260°...started 1.5 hrs ago...[p]Thanks and Aloha![p]Greg
  • thirdeye
    Options
    guava wood,[p]I'm most likely late for your reply, as I've been out delivering butts to friends during the cocktail hour..... For chicken, at 250 grate I go around 2-1/2 hours, and at 350, around 1-1/2 hours. (But my basting habits slow down my cooks a little) I'll bet your ribs will bring the whole meal together! What did you figure out for your set up?[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• guavawood
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]perfect timing...the ribs have been on for 2.5 hours at dome temp of 250-300° so in half an hour I was thinking of wrapping them in foil (ribs) and then putting chickens on. I have 4 slabs of spares on raised grid (cut in half slight over lap) and will put chicken on when I foil and sauce the ribs. (should I foil?) any way hoping it wall be ready in in 2-2.5 hours. Thanks for your help and I will take pictures and post them![p]Aloha![p]Greg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    guava wood,
    I had no idea how to respond so I have just been reading. Sounds like you are doing great. I love pics. Lawn Ranger don't like mine though.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    Options
    guava wood,[p]Smokin' Joe turned me on to a "holding" technique of foiling & resting ribs in a cooler after 3 hours (instead of foiling and returning to the cooker). This method would work great for you while the chicken cooks. Then you can unwrap & return the ribs to the Egg when the chicken comes off & rests. If you want sauce, brush it on in the last 20 minutes or so.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• guavawood
    Options
    4509546180.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]Thanks! Things are smelling good! It's amazing how long a wood chunk will last in there! [p]I just put on the chicken...I know the ribs are too cozy together..I should spread them out a bit.[p]Aloha![p]Greg
  • guavawood
    Options
    4509546174.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]A special moment...
  • guavawood
    Options
    4509546177.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]Mostly between 250-300 degrees...
  • guavawood
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Stop lurking..show me what you got... and I'll put in a good word for you to Lawn Ranger...![p]Aloha![p]Greg
  • ccrider.disabled
    Options
    guava wood, a white lid. so long ago. it's fun ain't it.

• guava wood,[p]First step...[p]First kiss...[p]First date...[p]...[p]
    bc