Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Adaptable Chicken

mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited 1:14AM in EggHead Forum
I've been trying out new recipes and, frankly, I need to go back to some old standards I have. Some of the new ones have been winners, but the last few not as spectacular and I'm getting discouraged.[p]A particular old favorite is this chicken where you mix spinach, ricotta, an egg, and a few other things and stuff it under the skin, then bake about 45 mins. It is very easy and always has rave reviews. I was wondering if recipes like this adapt well to the Egg? It's one of my favorite chickens. Thoughts?

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    mollyShark, that sounds delicious..the time frame is what bothers me. I would still use the 20 minute per lb as a rule of thumb in poultry cooks. At 350 degrees a 8 lb bird dressed to kill like your suggesting should take around 2 hours or so. maybe slightly less direct, more if indirect.
    I would go indirect at 350F or higher. I have cooked some great chicken at 500F..not whole but quarters, legs, drums, and breasts.
    Cheers...and let us know how it works for ya..go for it!
    C~W[p]

• mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Can't imagine I'll find an 8 lb chicken around, so time might not be quite as much of an issue. Think I'll stick him on a v-rack over a pan and a pizza stone at 350 and see what doth occur. If it works...I'll post the recipe. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
  • mollyShark, syre thing ..time is only relative to the heat applied so watch your themometer..Let that be your insurance....When's lunch and should I bring the wine??
    Kidding..
    C~W[p]

• CatCat Posts: 556
    mollyShark,[p]I do butterflied chicken (& T'giving turkey) stuffed under the skin on the Egg, & it's great. For larger birds I use a water-filled drip pan; otherwise I cook direct at 300-325 dome. [p]My favorite stuffing is based on mushrooms & cheese - see the link below.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Turkey with mushroom stuffing[/ul]