Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Question and a DISASTER!

Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, first the smoking question...then I'll work up the intestinal fortitude to talk about the related disaster.[p]I smoked a turkey last night, using a modified Super Buzzard reciped from the recipes section here. Bird was an 8-lb breast. I lighted my fire, and got it steady at 155*. Then I added 2 large chunked of soaked mesquite and a couple handfuls of tabasco-aging-barrel Oak, also soaked. On top of that I sprinkeld a handful of the dry oak chips. Then I had a pizza stone, stoneware drip pan, second grate, and finally the turkey on a roasting rack. Cooked at 155* for the first hour, then upped it to 270* for 3 more hours. The turkey was very good, but didn't have the pronounced smoked taste I was looking for...was it my choice of woods? was it my technique? Any suggestions?[p]NOW...THE DISASTER...yes, I had been warned. Many of you in your posts here have recounted similar disasters, but I just couldn't bring myself to ruin the look of my new deck by putting razor wire around my egg....SOOO...a guest lifted the lid to look at the turkey when it was almost done, and then...gulp...pushed it back down, popping the lid out of the auto-lock ring, and bending the ring a little bit. The ring is now warped, and it doesn't set the two halves of the egg properly...the lowest temp I can get now is about 350*, due to air leakage.[p]So, should I try to straighten it out? Has anyone done this successfully? Or should I just order one from BGE? Any idea how long this takes? I've already made plans to have guests over for a pulled pork bbq next weekend...will i have to serve them pizza instead?

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dave,
    Call BGE in the A.M., they will more than likely ship a new locking band to you the same day. 1-800-939-3447.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Dave,
    I think you lacked the smoke flavor because of the type of wood product you used instead of the type of wood! If you'd go to chunks exclusively instead of chips, I think you will find more success. I smoke turkey almost weekly, and other than an occasional screw-up, I never have trouble getting the smoke flavor into the bird. I have resigned myself though that chips are not the way to go other than during a quick high temp burn. If I cook steaks, I'll use some J.D. chips as the smoke generator, but I probably use more than most people, say 4 or 5 good handfulls. The chips burn up so quickly, even in a slo-cook situation, that I've never been satified with them.[p]I think your auto-lock band problem is gona take a refit/reorder from BGE! My wife has been the culprit I've had to worry about! I've caught her a couple of times trying to do just what you described! I can't imagine a "guest" thinking they can take things into their own hands and look see what is going on! I guess our friends and, relatives and guests, just know how particular I am about my cooking! Even the kids, now that they've started using BGE's to cook on won't "take-a-look-see"! I think if you ordered on Monday, they could have a new one to you by Thursday. It is a shame though that it happened at all! Put that person in handcuffs, the next time you have he/she over for dinner![p]Good luck! Dr. Chicken

• Dave
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Thanks for the wood-chunk advice...I'll definitely use all large chunks for my next smoke. Those chips do seem to burn up quickly.[p]I guess I will just order the new band. I guess I'll also order a few of those "Invisible Dog Fence" kits, and stake out the turf around my BGE. Then I'll make all of my guests don the collar with the electrical shocking device before they go out to the deck. That way, sooner or later, they will all learn to keep a safe distance away from my egg, right? Maybe my problem was that the egg was positioned too closely to the counter where the blender was and where the beer tub was. I'll move it to a more "remote" corner of the deck, too.[p]Thanks for the advice.[p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Dr. Chicken, I almost always use chips for low/slow cooks like yesterdays pulled pork. I start the fire in the bottom of the firebox, add more lump as it starts and then put the chips on top of the new lump - lots of smoke probably because the heat gets to it befote the flames - Just a thought.[p]I think I'll make some sweet potatoes today! Have a great Sunday.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dave, all the advice is up front. My sister-in-law did the metal bending act also...lost points with me drastically.
    Yes,,call BGE in the a.m. and order a new band. Keep the bent one and have a metal shop reheat and straighten the band. It has to be pretty accurate to assure a flat alignment. Then repaint and keep it for a spare.
    Hopefully it will rust away on a nail in the garage..:-)
    Maybe BGE can come up with a resistance lock that will release with sufficient pressure and no harm done.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• JJ, Sorry pal..I posted before reading your's..hows the coffee..I am recovering a bit from the bug...
    Cheers...C~W

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Dave,
    I understand and can sympathize. A "friend" of mine did the same thing to my egg a few months ago as we were doing pizzas. Lifted the lid to check on the progress, then pushed it down, dislodging the dome from the hinge. My heart sank. Fortunately, it wasn't in the hinge too tightly to bend the band, so it was easily repaired. We're now speaking again. J/k!
    I think you'll need to reorder. Any damage to the ceramic?

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Gfw,
    I hope them "sweet potatiees" have a full smoked flavor! Yuk! Yuk! :^)))[p]Dr. C

• Dave
    Well, I still don't know if my next turkey will be any smokier, but my band is about to be REPLACED. Yep, that neighbor has already stopped by my house with a replacement band assembly. We're lucky enough to have a BGE dealer here in town, and he had a spare ready (smart guy!). Then, to further assuage my feelings, my neighbor has volunteered her husband to come help me replace the band. So all's well that ends well, and I won't be serving my guests pizza next weekend after all. [p]Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.
    Dave[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    05_07_0018_40_01.jpg
    <p />Dave, don't cross of Pizza on the BGE - you guests may really like it!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw,
    What's your recipe for sweet potatoes?