Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

I'm confused

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new BGE user and I read your forum daily. I want to smoke a brisket and I have read about cooking times of any where from 1 1/4 to 3 hrs at 250 degrees cooking temp. How do I plan on when to put it on?

Comments

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    Carolyn,
    If it is a 8-10lb brisket, figure about 12-16 hrs at 250*. Remember that no 2 briskets are the same. They range from tough to tougher to toughest. Houndog says "If it's tough cook it a little longer"

• mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Carolyn,
    I'd have to say err on the side of overcooking. I did my first brisket a couple weeks ago at about 1-1/2 hrs a pound (it was relatively flat) and I think it would have had great benefit of another 3-4 hrs on the egg. It was good, but not spectacular..and definitely a little on the chewy side.[p]The other mistake I made was not getting one with a good enough fat cap. I've been, sigh, disenchanted since. I'd stick a fork in it at 1-1/2 per lb and see what it feels like. Unless it is a real tender one, let it sit.

• NCMikeNCMike Posts: 28
    Carolyn,
    I usually put one on about 8:30-9:00AM and cook it until about 6:00PM at 250*-275* on a roasting rack over a drip pan. At about 4:00PM I wrap it in foil and cook until it is at 200* internal temperature. I've never had one wind up tough-always very moist and tender.

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
    Carolyn,
    The fastest succesful brisket I have done was a 7 pounder that took a bit over 10 hours. That was at 270 dome over a dry pizza stone and no drip pan.[p]At 250 dome temp over liquid, I have never gotten under 2 hours/pound. A 10 pounder took 24 hours. A 12 pounder took 26 hours. I think next time I will try either 270 with liquid, or 250 with a dry drip pan, and see how much faster they go.[p]They are all different, but my opinion is that it is best to allow extra time (at least 2 hours a pound), and longer if you use temps under 250 dome.[p]Good luck! Seems to be the season for briskets!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • NCMikeNCMike Posts: 28
    Char-Woody, Thanks! I don't get around as much as I used to , but I still read the forum when I can. A wealth of great info and recipes. I finally got down to Texas a month ago and tried some "real" brisket. It was good, but I didn't think it was as good as what I make on the egg. I like to pull it like pork and serve it that way. Good stuff! Going to have a go at jerked ribs today-get'em going, delegate oversite to the Mrs., and pop down to the pool with the lad. Have a great Sunday!

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    NCMike, your welcome and you have a good one also.. I am trying but got a heck of a cold virus to battle..
    Must be the hot wx and fans running...!! No cooking mood as no taste anyway..sigh..! Life ??
    Cheers..C~W[p]