Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PULLED PORK QUESTION

Carlyle
Carlyle Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook a 5 and a 7 pound pork shoulder this weekend to make pulled pork. I plan on cooking it at about 225 degrees. I would appreciate a ball-park figure on how long it will take to cook it to 195 degrees, internal temperature.[p]Also if they get done before my guests arrive, is there a good method of keeping it until dinner time?[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Carlyle

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Carlyle, it will take 14 (2:00/lb) hours but the 5 pounder will be done before the 7 pounder. Start checking temps after 8-9 hours and pull them when they hit the temp you like. Occasionally I will pull at 195 but I prefer at least 200. Let them rest for an hour (wrapped in foil) after taking them off to allow the juice to redistribute.

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Carlyle,[p]You can leave them wrapped in foil in a cooler with hot towels for hours. Left mine in for 4 hours last weekend...[p]Cheers ~[p]B o B
  • Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Carlyle,[p]i second the 200 degree suggestion. you could pull 1 at 195 and 1 at 200 to find what you like best. they will be well received either way. if you don't have a remote thermometer figure 2 hrs/lb if you keep your temp in the 210 - 240 range. if it gets hotter start checking after an hour per lb. you can keep them foil and towels in an empty ice chest for a few hours if they finish early.

• Carlyle
    Carlyle Posts: 7
    My thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. You have been a big help![p]Carlyle

• Carlyle,Why are you cooking your Shoulder to that temperature. I was under the assumption that you could take it off the grill once it reached 170 degrees...Am I wrong???

• Matty,
    At 170 degrees pork is 'done' in terms of safe to eat. I did several this way on the old Weber. However, a butt will not pull when cooked to this temp. It can be chopped, but not pulled. At 195 to 200 the connective tissue will break down to where the butt can be easily shredded or pulled.
    HTH.
    DrR

• Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    oops, that was me below....