Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table 2.0

Options
Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a rough table when I purchased my Large a year and half ago. Wanted to try some ideas and knew I would be modifying it. Changed this and that; added a small egg and made more changes. The table worked fine but I made the mistake of using 2x4’s for legs instead of 4x4’s. I also used stem castor wheels – which were ok when I just had the large but began to worry me when I added the small. I added an accessory table to hold the charcoal and smoking wood. I put several large tiles on top of it as a place to put hot grids/stones/food, etc.[p]I built the first accessory table out of 2’x4’s and plywood. Did not like it and while looking around for some kind of replacement saw the wired shelving at the local Storables store. Ended up assembling a wheeled 21x48 wire rack table to replace the wooden one. This table works fine.[p]I move the tables quite often to place them out of the weather under the covered part of our deck. I always worried about the possibility of breaking out wheels in the 2x4’s on the BGE table and when we decided to remodel the deck, I decided it was time to build a new BGE table. Liking the wire frame of the accessory table, I began to research what would be involved in building one for the eggs. I wanted a 24x48 inch table. Storables only carried 21” wide shelves.
I found several places on the Internet that had 24”x48” shelves but I wanted them NOW – not several weeks in the future. Ended up purchasing the posts, wheels and 24”/48” rails at Storable and using the plywood tops/shelving from the original tables for shelving.[p]Haven’t had a chance to actually use it yet but I am satisfied with the way it turned out. I might order a couple of 24x48 wire shelves in the future but will to give this configuration a try.[p]
Original table
Largeandsmalleggs5-14-2005640x480.jpg[p]The frame of the new table
Newtable2-7-24-2005640x480.jpg[p]The new table
Newtable4-7-24-2005-640x480.jpg[p]The storage table
Acc.jpg[p]Toy Man[p]

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]Man that's nice (both of them)![p]Smokey
  • Unknown
    Options
    Toy Man,
    I really like your tables and have a few questions. How much did the metal table cost? Is "Storables" a local store? What is the brand name of the table? Does the table have a weight limit? It looks like stainless steel, as we have a problem in Salt Lake with outdoor things rusting. [p]The other thing I always wondered is how do you clean out the ash if the Egg is set so far back from the front edge? I just put a 5-gallon bucket under mine (currently in the Egg Nest) and the ash just drops down into the bucket and is easy to clean. [p]I'm thinking of using two tables and putting them in the corner of my deck in a "L" shape with a solid plywood top.[p]Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, but any help you can give me would be appreciated. Mark

• Toy Man
    Options
    I really like your tables and have a few questions. How much did the metal table cost? Is "Storables" a local store?[p]Storable is a small west coast chain of stores.[p]
    What is the brand name of the table? [p]No brand name on the items. See www.shelving.com or search for wire shelving.[p]Does the table have a weight limit?[p]Storables says 300 lbs per shelf. Other sites say 500 to 800.[p]It looks like stainless steel, as we have a problem in Salt Lake with outdoor things rusting. [p]Chrome plated steel. Also available in other painted? finishes.[p]The other thing I always wondered is how do you clean out the ash if the Egg is set so far back from the front edge? I just put a 5-gallon bucket under mine (currently in the Egg Nest) and the ash just drops down into the bucket and is easy to clean. [p]I use a plastic kitchen trash bag stuck up under the egg. Scoop the ash into it and then tie it off.[p]Toy Man

• Toy Man
    Options
    Forgot to add - the table parts came to a little over $130. I seem to recall that shelving.com was cheaper.[p]Toy Man
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Mark Long,
    You can find tables similar to this at Sam's Club also. Here's a link to my page about how I built a table for my small egg using one of these:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Building a Table For a small BGE[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mark from Utah
    Options
    Toy Man,
    Thanks for all the info and the great idea for the table. Mark

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Toy Man,
    just out of curiosity since I noticed the same positioning in your first table in pix 1 and then again in your new in pix 3 that your large is positioned at an angle to open say 10:00 to 4:00. Most people - I believe - position their eggs 12:00 to 6:00. I notice your small has a different position, but similiar in the two pixs. I'm not being critical - just curious.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toy Man
    Options
    The handle on my large is at about 4:00 to 5:00 oclock and at about 7:00 oclock on the small. Being right handed, I find it works well for me. I can stand in the middle of the table and easily open either egg.[p]Toy Man