Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need your help

Options
trgtldy
trgtldy Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need your help! I recently sent and email to BigGreenEgg Customer Support but have received no reply. The email was as follows: "I need your help! A dear friend who's parents died and had an Egg has given me theirs. From everything I have seen on your web page all the parts of the Egg are intact, except this one does not have the temperature gauge in the top. My problem is I have no manual. I don't know how to clean the inside (lots of spider webs) and I don't know any of the basics of cooking with the Egg or how to know the temperature inside the Egg. Can I order a manual? or can I download a manual in PDF? I would like to use the Egg as soon as possible but need some info before I can. Please advise. Thank you. " Can any of you help me with this information? Thanks.

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    There are several places you can get a thermometer. I'm assuming your Egg has the hole in the dome for putting one in? If so, just go to your local Egg dealer (you can use the dealer locator here on the website to find the ones closest to you) or you can look at different websites, like www.hearthsidedistributors.com who sell the Egg-cessories.

As for the manual, people here will tell you it's pretty worthless, particularly the recipes. You're better off going to a website like www.nakedwhiz.com for your info, everything from lighting the egg to what charcoal is best, links to gobs of recipes, etc.

Hope that helps!
  • trgtldy
    trgtldy Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks. I'll check out that website. Unfortunately this Egg doesn't have a hole in the dome for a thermometer, which is my problem. I'm not sure how to solve that one.
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    In that case, I'd check out the Maverick thermometers. Some have two probes, one for the meat, another for the grid temp. If you get one of those, that should take care of your problems.

One caution: Most recipes are in terms of dome temp rather than grid temps. As you do more reading around here, you'll get a feel for the relationship between the two. For instance, I believe a dome temp of 250F typically translates into a 225F grid temp.

Hope that helps!