Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and Foil

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do ribs tomorrow for the first time on my month old Egg. I've read a bunch of methods, direct/indirect, ect. The ones that cook in foil for an hour, what does that do?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Joe,[p]It also protects them from direct heat and excessive browning/blackening, especially if you use a lot of sugar in your rub. Some folks add flavorful liquids to the foil to braise them for an hour. Fruit juices, liquor, beer, Dr. Pepper and root beer are all good choices. Some will add bbq sauce to the foil.[p]Hope that gives you some ideas.
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    BBS, thanks so much for the info! Might try some beer in one.... As for protecting them from direct heat, I'm using a plate setter so shouldn't that cover the heat part?
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    BBS, thanks so much for the info! Might try some beer in one.... As for protecting them from direct heat, I'm using a plate setter so shouldn't that cover the heat part?
  • PizzandQs
    PizzandQs Posts: 42
    Options
    Foiling ribs is somewhat like pressure cooking...don't underestimate how fast it will take your ribs from not yet cooked to a less than heroic fate....
    Have fun,
    Steve
  • ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't cook my ribs in foil for an hour... but I do like to put them in foil for an hour after cooking them. I usually pull them off the egg, wrap them in two layers of foil and just let them sit on the counter for an hour. They stay quite warm and I find that they are more tender. Not mush at all.