Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How portable is the Medium?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been thinking about buying a Small at the Eggtoberfest so that I had something more portable, like for taking tail-gating. However, after all the recent posts about the difficulty of getting the Small up to searing temps, I'm starting to think I need a Medium instead.[p]But I notice on the BGE website that the Medium is over 90 lbs. Anybody try using the Medium as their tailgating grill/cooker? Is it really stinking hard for one person to move? My wife and I together can move the Large, but I hate moving that booger by myself.

Comments

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Exactly what I am facing...wanting to buy a small because of the mobility....over this past July 4th, I declared it the last time to move my large....[p]The Hulk
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    i ran a test last night to see if i could get the small up to temps faster. this worked well. took the fire ring out and only filled the fire box. put the grill down low. with less lump blocking the airflow it came right up to temp. by changing out the cast iron coal grate to xpanded metal as was suggested, i believe there will be no problems with getting high temps.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I picked up my medium from the store and had no problem getting it up to my second floor apartment. It depends how weak you are really.

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]The small would be the best cooker for your tail-gates in my opinion. You don't have to get this cooker to some kind of cremate temp to do a steak. You want the fire about 1" above the grate for your steaks as this is the hottest temp that your steak will see. If the flames are shooting out the top of the cooker, your cooking grid will be at a lower temp. In fact, you could lay the steak on the coals and this as well will be at a lower temp. Take the thermometer out of the cooker and forget about the 800 degree temps for your searing and when the flames are at about one - two inch above the grid, put your steaks on the cooker and you will get a wonderful sear in less time. [p]Dave

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I agree with you Dave...The smallis much more portable and gets plenty hot.
    Larry

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    YB,[p]I'll second your second!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]
    Weird. I've never had any problems getting my small up to nuke temps. Today at lunchtime I had the needle wrapped around. I was searing a nice thick sirloin. It was perfect, flames weren't shooting out the top either, it was just rolling hot at grill level with no really giant tall flames. Only took me about 20 minutes. Wonder why mine works so well, I've never done any modifications or anything.[p]TUS

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]I know many eggers love their small, but I much prefer the medium. I can lift it from it's nest into my van by myself, but what I really like is it's versatility. The medium has a platesetter available, and the grid extender fits. So I can do everything my large does with it. I know some guys have built special parts for the small to do the same, but not everybody wants to (or can) do that.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ