Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unsolicited Advise on Fire Starters

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I often see posts about how to best start a fire in the Egg. Although I like the Green Heat type products....the cheapest, most available and most reliable source that I have found is the Diamond (matches) product, "Strike-A-Fire". [p]It's the parafin type product that's available in virtually every grocery store that can be broken into a bazillion smaller pieces....each capable of starting a good fire in the Egg. I've seen others, such as Nature Boy (I believe) post this same thing in the past. Heck, I've even started lump with newspaper.[p]Starting the fire in the Egg needn't be rocket science.[p]I don't know why I posted this other than the fact that I had a few minutes spare of time.[p]Mike

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Lawn Ranger, I use what I know best, gas. My gas experiences go back to junior high school and that time old tradition (right of passage) called..... betting your best buddy a $1 on lighting a far.....t! Ever since, I've been a gas guy in one form or another. So, I use MAPP gas with the guru golf club to be specific. Ahhhh, the younger days........ LOL Tom
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I got caught with my pants down almost. All I had was an electric starter, and a bunch of steaks for guests. Starter had a crack in it and wouldn't work. Rumraged threw everything I had to get the BGE lite. Finally, found starter cubes about 4 years old, they worked.
    Since then I keep 3-4 ways to lite the EGG.
    You KTG.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    April 10, 1969......10 inches of snow in Lubbock, Texas. Senior year....lit my first fart. It's incredible how some things are permanently etched in your ass....er, ...mind. [p]The good old days will never die as long as we can remember them.....It's getting tougher by the day.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    College or HS? In 1969?[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    High School....I'm old....not ancient![p]KTGs

• Unknown
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,why would anyone ever use anything besides the guru's golf club ?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Hi Mike, I've been using those Weber Starter Cubes from when I first got my Egg. I only use one cube I can usually have a 350° in about 15 minutes and 750° in about 25 minutes. The only problem is I can't find them anymore. Looks like I may have to switch to Mapp Gas.[p]Spring "A Little Goes A Long Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    What's the deal with the Weber cubes anyway? I can't find them here, either, and I agree with you...one starter cube, one hot Egg in 15 minutes. I put the cube in the ash pit, the fire starts from the bottom of the pile of charcoal, and the resulting fire's just the best. I have Googled Weber Starter Cubes and found they can be mail-ordered for 2.99/box. I may just have to order some, bite the bullet, and pay the shipping charge.
    Cheers,
    G.