Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

outfitting a new egg...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm curious. Been looking around at the various "required" accessories for the egg - it's a coming... - and wondered a couple of things. [p]Anyone out there tried using the commercial quality pierced pizza pans for veggies and fish? And while ecnomizing, anyone outfitted their egg with kiln furnniture instead of using a plate setter? My local dealer doesn't have the accessories in stock but I can get my hands on the alternatives easily. Will standard restaurant equipment stand up to the heat of the BGE? [p]I know the kiln shelves and supports will do so easily - any problems with shimming out the shelves using supports instead of using a plate setter? I figure that I've got about 3"+ round the outside but since it's for low and slow might it cause the edges to be possibly too hot? Too little clearance for a large BGE? If so how much clearance, in your corporate wisdom would be better?[p]Thanks for all the great tips. The site is smashing!![p]

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Cj. Folks on the forum use some inventive stuff in the egg, including me. Well, I am probably more wacky than inventive. I do suggest that when it comes to ceramic type accessories, I'd stick with BGE products. The fancy pizza stones and such don't seem to have a long and happy egg life, for the most part. I recommend the platesetter, so when you ask questions, you can relate to the answers in kind. With regard to commercial metal accessories, so far no problem for me, just remember smoke, smoke and more smoke to potentially clean. Have fun and welcome. Tom
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Cj. , you are pretty astute. Normally, any alternative to the BGE high temp ceramics, will eventually fracture and fail. The one alternative that works is kiln posts and kiln shelves. They do not overheat, crack, or fail. You can cut, trim, and configure them in many arrangements. They are good to 2,600 degrees or beyond. Much like BGE ceramics ! Be sure to leave an inch or 1 1/2 clearance around the firering for airflow clearance.... welcome to the green world !!!

• tn slagamater
    Options
    tn slagamater, and the restaurant pizza pans, etc are all fine !

• Unknown
    Options
    OOOOOooo, I'm headed out in just a few to pick up a beautiful, fully assembled large in a *big* table* YIPEE!!! Only enough time to stick a few boneless breasts and some shrimp into water to thaw for tonight. If I get time I need to stop at the good butchershop too, but likely that will be another day! [p]Thanks for the tips on the kiln furniture and the pizza plates. I've got a bit more of a budget 'cause the better half got a *heck* of a deal from a local supplier. Got a few bucks left over for extras. Since the kiln furniture is an hour and a half away, if I can get the plate setter that's probably going to be one of my first things (price aside..). The rest will come as need dictates. Something tells me it won't be too long though - the last piece that came into the kitchen also had a "manual" component that quickly got taken care of ;). [p]A BRAND NEW EGGY (Eggster, ?)!! Look out world, here we come![p]Cj.
    who's going to be playing on the no-sugar side of BBQ and Egging. Anyone else out there playing by the same rules?