Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eye of round roast recipe needed

Options
bobbyb
bobbyb Posts: 1,349
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife came home with a 6.5 lb whole eye of round roast for me to cook for some friends coming over for dinner tomorrow. I've never cooked one of these. My sense is that it is a tough cut. Any suggestions on how to proceed with this for an evening meal tomorrow?
Thanks, Bob

Comments

• wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    Options
    bobbyb,[p]Wess B has a great recipe for pit beef on his site. I've tried it, and it's a keeper, the only thing is you have to have a meat slicer to slice it very thin.[p]Mike[p]
    [ul][li]Wess's Pit Beef[/ul]
  • Smitty
    Smitty Posts: 19
    Options
    bobbyb,
    Sorry, but I think this is one tough cut better left to an oven roasting with some liquid. True, if you can egg it rare and cut it THIN, it would taste good, but I still say you'll need some healthy choppers.

• Unknown
    Options
    I have saved this recipe in case I run across an eye for a great price, I'd make this. If yours is too big for your crockpot, braise it on top of the stove.[p]Lee[p]Cider-Simmered Eye of Round [p]2 t Salad oil
    1 Beef eye round (3 1/2-4 lbs)
    2 Medium-size onions, chopped
    1 Stalk celery, thinly sliced
    2 Cloves garlic, minced
    1 t Ground allspice
    1/2 t Ground ginger
    1/4 t Pepper
    1 c Apple cider OR apple juice
    2 T Molasses
    2 T Cornstarch, blended with
    2 T Cold water
    Salt
    Chopped parsley

Heat oil in a wide non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat; add beef and brown well on all sides. Meanwhile, in a 4-quart or larger crockpot, combine onions, celery, and garlic; sprinkle with the spices. [p]In a small bowl, mix the cider and molasses. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour in cider mixture. Cover and cook on low 9 1/2 to 10 hours. [p]When finished cooking, remove roast and place on platter to keep warm. Skim and discard the fat from the cooking liquid. Blend in the cornstarch mixture. Increase heat to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times until sauce is thickened (about 15 minutes). Season with salt to taste. When ready to serve, spoon sauce over meat and sprinkle with parsley.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    wfd146,
    i agree with wfd146... .you can have great results on the egg with pit beef. .. .i do it similar to wess. .. .dome temp at 375 (although i do an indirect set up with grid over inverted plate setter). .. .rub it heavy (i really like dizzypig red eye express or cowlick). ..roast it till its 130 in the center (it will only take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours). . .let it rest, then 'shave' it... . served on kaiser rolls with bbq sauce and/or horse radish and onions. . . .delicious. ...

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I'll save this meat for another day to make pit beef. Don't want the guests to be guinnea pigs. Now where is that chicken I'm gonna spatchcock?
    Cheers, Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    Hey Lee, I recently cooked a choice grade eye of round roast similar to the method that Wess B advocates. I marinated the roast in a non-acidic solution for 30 hours and then applied heavy coat of rub six hours before I cooked it. This marinade is very similar to your magnificent marinade which I am sure would work well too.[p]I slow cooked the roast on my kettle until it hit an internal temperature of 125ºF. Once it hit my target temperature, I removed it from the grill and let it rest. During this time I noticed the roast climbed another 10º before it started to cool.[p]I cooled the roast to a point of almost frozen before I sliced it. I find easier to get thin slices off of the roast when it is almost frozen. The slices are best served cold. I found that even reheating them slowly changes the texture and makes the meat more tough. I think the flavor is better when the slices are served cold too.[p]I wouldn't hesitate to cook another roast like this as the thinly sliced meat makes for some great sandwiches.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy