Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's the main cook in your family?

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if the egg has broken some traditional roles. Who is the main cook in your family? [p]I'll start: ME...except for breakfast. He usually does breakfast.[p]mShark

Comments

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Mollyshark,
    I'm the primary cook in our house. My wife doesn't cook much at all, but that was true before I got my BGE.

• mollyshark
    willmw,[p]Thanks for adding that. I should have included that as part of my curiosity question. Who was the main cook BEFORE the egg.[p]mShark
  • Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Mollyshark,
    We split time on Wendsday. I cook on Sunday,and Saturday, She on Monday and Tuesday and we usually go out the remaining.Jessie also does breakfast on Sunday.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mollyshark,
    What the heck is breakfast? Tammy is a wonderful cook but I have taken over all duties. Tammy says thanks for egg, I cook 4-5 times a week on the egg. Tammy may cook once a week or we go out. You know what is going on.[p]What car did you get? I saw a Benz at the wash today that was sweet. 350cl?[p]Mike

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Mollyshark,[p]Well, for me it's usually, well, me. I live by myself, so I dominate the cooking processes. I cook whatever I want, whenver I want. I cook my own dinners probably 6 of 7 nights per week on average. The other 1 or 0 days per week I go out or get take out.[p]I often wonder how it would work if I were to ever marry. I need to cook and eat what I want most days lest I weigh 900 pounds. I'd offer to cook for anyone, but I have a variable work schedule, and I assume it would be an issue if I offered to cook every night at some time between 4 and 10pm, which is when I come home from work.[p]Good food for all,
    Cornfed

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Mollyshark,[p]Mrs. GrillMeister is still the main cook in the family and I have the waist to prove it. LOL[p]She does enjoy the egg food though, but all the sides come through her kitchen.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Mollyshark,[p]That would be me...except for rare occasions...It's not that she can't cook, because she can....it's just that I don't give her a chance. It was that way before the Egg, too.[p]I'd probably get more tools done if I'd quit cooking, but it's therapy for me.[p]Thank Goodness for the wonderful rain![p]Mike
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Mollyshark,
    Joan was the main cook in the family before we got the egg. Now, I cook every night possible on this wonderful green machine and we love it. The only times I don't cook are when we get a dinner invitation or when we have accumulated so many egg leftovers we can't close the refrigerator. I've even, on a couple of occasions, reheated leftovers on the egg!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    GrillMeister,
    I'll go with your reply! It seems as if I wrote it.
    Hope you don't mind!
    Hammer

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Mollyshark, I cook everyday, she does laundry on sundays.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Mollyshark,
    We share most of the cooking, I do the entree, Egged or not, about 90% of the time and she is a whiz with the veggies and salads. Every now and then I let her overcook a new chicken or fish recipe that she's found and pretend that I like it for the sake of a happy marriage.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• mollyshark
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Red Z8 with cream interior. 2002. You won't ever see it at a carwash. Nothing personal![p]mShark
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Mollyshark,
    My wife and I have gone back and forth as primary cook over the years of our marriage. She cooked more when we first got married. When she went back to school to finish her degree, I became the primary cook. After she graduated, she went back to being the primary cook, but I would every now and then do "something special" and she'd come up with side items for it.[p]Now we're like several folks here. I Egg 4 times a week typically, and she makes all the sides. One night a week is leftovers. She'll usually cook the whole meal one of the other nights, and we eat out once a week. We used to eat out a good bit more, so you'd think we'd be saving a lot of money. However, our grocery bill has gone up quite a bit, mainly because of all the food we're making for friends and family on the Egg!

• Mollyshark,
    i am .. . but not because of the egg....i always enjoyed cooking, and when first married, my wife was in retail, so most of the time she wasn't home till much later than me. ..so right from the start, i did most of the cooking. ...she did more after we had kids and she stayed home, but over the years the kitchen has primarily been my 'domain' and with her disability the last 4 years, i do 90% of the cooking with the spawn picking up the other 10% or so. .. . after a lousy day at work, i still find cooking to be cathartec and enjoyable. ..

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Mollyshark,
    i'm single.... i use my egg as bait to lure women....once they get some egg cooked food...they're hooked.... better than liquor (maybe?) lol! ray

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Mollyshark,[p]That's me. As my wife likes to say, it's not that she can't cook, it's that she doesn't want to. And she's right - on those rare occasions that she finds herself in the kitchen she can whip up some tasty fare. But she is thankful that I enjoy cooking so much - I grew up watching my dad cook because my mom also did not like (well, in her case, I can probably say "hated") to cook. I guess I'm carrying on the tradition of male cooks.[p]TRex
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Mollyshark,[p]I cook , she cleans, Always. [p]I get home first in the evenings so I cook. We eat, then I get up and leave the Kitchen mess, and she cleans it up.[p]E
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    My wife cooked for years but it has been me since the BGE.[p]Toy Man
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Mollyshark,
    That would be me.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Mollyshark,
    I am. 24-7.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Mollyshark,
    I am. 24-7.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mollyshark, truly a 50/50 thing with me egging or cooking on the stove the main entree probably 75%, but Pat carries her share with the side dishes, salads etc. As for pre-egg it was more 80/20 with her doing the 80%. BTW nowadays when we are in a discussion about the BGE with other couples - especially in the mode of interested buyer Pat always encourages the wife to be supportive as "your cooking duties will drastically fall off - and the food is oh, so good!"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    Mollyshark,
    you mean woman cook? do they do dishes too? ive definately been looking in the wrong places

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Mollyshark,
    It's about 50-50 at the Ward house...Me outside and Kaye inside.
    Larry

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    What about Jennie? :)[p]Jim
  • Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    Mollyshark,
    Me - John isn't even allowed to touch the BGE after the time he shut the draft door and the daisy wheel and then opened the BGE. You know what happened next!! The kids are starting to help, but most of the time it's me.
    Julie

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Mollyshark,[p]I guess that would be me, with lots of help from Larry (except on Friday nights, when he does it all)...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Hammer,[p]Not a problem. Glad to find a brother. (grin)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Humpty
    Humpty Posts: 27
    Mollyshark,
    I have to say my wife, Vickie, whips up most of the meals--that is when we don't eat out. Now when it comes to cooking on the BGE or one of those other kinds, I do 100% of that. The egg is usually in play three nights per week. Even then, she puts together most of the side dishes. Gotta love that girl--I'm retired and she is still working!
    Larry

• I usually set up a perimeter to keep people out of the kitchen! Especially my wife, she in the last month alone has managed to cut herself twice!(by accident NOW!) Each requiring emergency room and stitches! She does very well dispensing ice cubes these days![p]