Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some one can answer this easy......about that Ham????

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a reprint of an earlier attempt for advice. Glitch in the server must have overshaddowed my poor little post:([p]I just saw a recipe submission in the recipe file for brined and smoked ham. The author smoked the ham by heating the egg to
450 and adding the soaked wood them cooking the ham at 350. I thought smoking was done at lower temps around 200-220. Is
ham done differently?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Stuart, that one is confusing. Regular ham is made by injections and cold smoking. I think..not sure!!
    C~W[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Stuart,[p]The temperature is a little confusing, I would suggest sending a message to the author for clarification. I generally use a lower temperature like 225° for a couple of hours and then bump it up a bit. I generally take it off when it reaches 165° and then slice. It will be pretty close to what you buy at a grocery store with the addition of the saltpeter.[p]Z

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Yep, most commercial ham is injected and cold smoked or liquid smoked. With a small piece of boneless ham, the brine will do the trick. However, temperature is very important. It needs to be below 40° to be safe and above 35° to not inhibit the osmosis. I would probably try a boneless picnic first for two reasons, one they are cheaper and two the taste of picnic ham is pretty close to the shank portion of a regular ham.[p]Z[p]Z

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Stuart,
    I smoke my hams at 250F. If it's a fully cooked one, it's ready when the internal reaches about 120F, about 15 minutes per pound. If it's not then you need to take it up to about 165. [p]The ham should have instructions on the package. Most of them will want an cooking temp of around 350F +/-, but that's for oven baking. cooking it at a lower temp won't hurt it a bit.
    JimW