Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Soft Shell Crab results

FritzFritz Posts: 179
edited 4:11AM in EggHead Forum
We cooked a bit later than usual and I ended up cooking the soft shells at 300* with some orange wood for smoke. I cooked them at about 4 minutes per side with just olive oil brushed on. Afterwards I placed a nice pat of some homemade Lime-Ginger butter from a reccipe at the St. Matthews Seafood Shop.[p]The crabs were very good, but not up to my standards. Next time I will grill them at a higher temp, probabl 500*. I am a bit leary of going too high on the temp for fear of burning up the little legs.[p]A fine result that can be better.[p]Fritz

• Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Fritz,[p] I agree with you on the higher temperature. 500F sounds about right to me as it will be hot enough to get them crispy, but not hot enough so that the flames are actually kissing the crabs (though it's hard for anything to kiss something who's lips you've just cut off!). I've never tried grilling soft shell crabs. Always had them lightly breaded and sauteed . . .[p]MikeO
  • Bama FireBama Fire Posts: 267
    IMO, it's gonna be real damn tough to beat a fried softshell! I could eat 'em several meals a day. Damn, i just love 'em![p]B~F